Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2015, 10:43 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lextextrapper Quote
I'm ready to get rid of my K30! I sent it back last year for this problem and it worked fine for almost a year. Now it's doing the same thing again and I just bought a couple new lenses to use with it! This was my first Pentax and now I'm wishing I had gone with a Nikon or Canon.
In all fairness, it only happens with one of you lenses and it's not even a Pentax See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/293395-k30-dilemma.html#post3225830
It's not said that the aperture activation isn't a weak point.

QuoteOriginally posted by kodai84 Quote
*MY* K-30 is a POS, it has failed AGAIN (STRIKE THREE) with this issue after TWO cleanings/repairs to the "aperture control system" magnets. This time after <1 week. The camera ls <2 yrs OLD. I'm really considering a K-50. The K-3 is tempting, but heavier and more expen$ive. Weight is important to me as I still miss the lightness of my K-x. Does anyone know if it's more reliable or have a better suggestion? Shame too as I love this camera and it's features, but I apparently got a Fsckin' LEMMON!
You have warranty on the repair; the repair shop did a poor job. If you have an extended warranty, get a replacement.

04-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kodai84 Quote
after TWO cleanings/repairs to the "aperture control system" magnets
Who did the repair work?
04-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #63
Veteran Member

I have feeling that the repair shops are replacing a worn/faulty mechanism with the same make/model of component instead of using an updated component. That just resets the clock for the failure to reoccur. It's kind of sad.

My K-30 was humming along at 28k shutter counts before this fault appeared and it only happens when using the D-FA 50mm f/2.8 macro lens. All other lenses are fine. I passed the camera on to my father who is using it with a DA 16-45mm. No problems reported so far.
04-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
In all fairness, it only happens with one of you lenses and it's not even a Pentax
I wish this was the case for me, as it happens on all my Pentax lenses. However, I will say that I'll get a small percentage of useful shots if the telephoto is used, or if I stick to using burst mode - then the aperture control eventually catches up.

04-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DoYouKnowJack Quote
I wish this was the case for me, as it happens on all my Pentax lenses. However, I will say that I'll get a small percentage of useful shots if the telephoto is used, or if I stick to using burst mode - then the aperture control eventually catches up.
So, did you create an account to add a complaint on to a troubleshooting request or are you requesting help with your problem. Assuming the latter, if you are having problems similar to the OP, your solution is a service call or purchasing a replacement camera. If a replacement is preferred, you might want to buy another brand. After all, variety is the spice of life, eh?

Steve
04-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I have feeling that the repair shops are replacing a worn/faulty mechanism with the same make/model of component instead of using an updated component. That just resets the clock for the failure to reoccur. It's kind of sad.
That is an interesting idea, though I would add that at the first reports of this failure (one of the few to afflict the K-30/K-50) came from K-30 users who had owned their cameras for a year or more, but with very low shutter counts. It has not been clear whether the issue is electronic or mechanical, though the symptoms seem to indicate electronic in that multiple systems are affected (e.g. rear display as well as mirror travel). So...defective board/chips/solder joint? It is hard to say.

The report above is the first I had read of a K-30/K-50 requiring a repeat repair. Hopefully this is a rare occurrence.

Steve
04-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@6BQ5
QuoteQuote:
I have feeling that the repair shops are replacing a worn/faulty mechanism with the same make/model of component instead of using an updated component. That just resets the clock for the failure to reoccur.
I would expect this.

Pentax did it with the MZ series, where every camera (so it seems) except the MZ-S at one point in its life suffered from the damaged/slipping gear of the mirror motor. When Pentax got aware of the problem, newly produced cameras got a metal gear, but the repair centers for years on still exchanged the broken ones by the old plastic version.

04-23-2015, 02:09 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So, did you create an account to add a complaint on to a troubleshooting request
Why the snobbery Mr. Steve; I thought this was the Friendly Pentax Forum, lol? I created an account to participate in the thread, add value to the conversation with my experiences with this K30 topic, and hopefully learn from others.
04-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #69
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DoYouKnowJack Quote
Why the snobbery Mr. Steve; I thought this was the Friendly Pentax Forum, lol? I created an account to participate in the thread, add value to the conversation with my experiences with this K30 topic, and hopefully learn from others.
Sorry for the snobbery. I assume you read my response to your first post where I was not so blunt:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/229294-k...ml#post3223914

I have to admit to lumping you in with the user who revived this zombie thread for the purpose of rant and the other user who chimed in. Please accept my apology. The original post was one of several that signaled the emergence of the flurry of aperture/mirror controller issues with the K-30 in mid-2013. Tragically, almost all of these reports involved cameras that had very light use, but were recently off warranty. The problem has been the subject of multiple threads on this site and apparently has carried over to the K-50 as well.*

For the purpose of troubleshooting, this thread had served its purpose. The most recent posts probably would have been more useful and gotten a broader discussion if they were posted in a new thread in the K-30/K-50 section of the site. Additional reports of problems, particularly re-occurrence are useful, but even more so if they are constructive.

Steve

* I recently sent my friend's K-50 in for warranty service for this issue.

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-23-2015 at 05:18 PM.
04-27-2015, 02:53 AM   #70

Hi,

Looks like my K-30 has started having the same problem and its out of Warranty. I cant afford a repair or a new camera right now, so have no choice but to keep using it.

I only have 3 questions:

1. Can I keep using the Camera with a manual focus lens?

2. Will the issue in the camera become worse overtime or make it unusable?

3. Is there a way to fix the camera myself? I tried searching the web to find any instructions on repairing it but was not able to find anything.

Thank you,
04-27-2015, 03:09 AM   #71
Veteran Member

1 is irrelevant because of 2, which is a yes, and 3 probably not.
05-04-2015, 03:52 AM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
1 is irrelevant because of 2, which is a yes, and 3 probably not.
So my camera will die a slow and painful death? D:
05-04-2015, 04:04 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Mine quit after about 15000 clicks, ifI remember correctly. It started slowly, just a few photo's at first, usually the first few in a series, after startup. It got worse after a while, send it in for a warranty repair, complete mirror box replacement, took about 3 months (ZA) When I received it back, the exposure was constant, but using OVF, consistently - 2 stops compared to LV. So I use it only in live view now. While it was in for repair, I got a K5iis, and it was definitely worth it, the K30 don't see much use at the moment
08-08-2015, 01:49 AM   #74

same problem

Same problem with AP. Randomly stucks and then goes back to normal also randomly. I thought it's a battery voltage problem??

k-30 manufactured 06.2012.
08-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #75
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Backo1 Quote
Same problem with AP. Randomly stucks and then goes back to normal also randomly. I thought it's a battery voltage problem??

k-30 manufactured 06.2012.
Sorry

This is repairable, but the cost may be more than the cost of a new K-50.

Steve