Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Sending in my K-30 for this problem. Luckily I bought the extended warranty.

It is not intermittent on my K-30 anymore. It happens on every single photo. It closes the aperture all the way.

If I use a fully manual lens it takes pictures just fine.

11-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #92

Hi, unfortunately I joined the group with crippled k30's.
I am thinking in buying a lens that has auto focus and an aperture ring. That way I will still be able to use the camera.
There are so many lenses. So do you have any suggestions for something equal or better then the 18-55 kit, and not very expensive?
Also I found many that seem fine but start from 28 mm which is not too wide.
12-01-2015, 12:13 AM   #93

Is pentax junk?

I originally purchased a K-r, sent it back within a week, got another one- had a similar issue with the shake reduction as the first one- sent it back too. I waited to get a K-30 which I've had for 2 years, but only 2600 shutter actuations and it is now completely broken. Dark/underexposed pictures every single time....and I'm more than a year out of warranty. I called Ricoh customer service- twice- and each time the customer service rep played dumb about any issues of this sort with the Pentax K-30.

As others have experienced my only options are to: A.) have it repaired B.) buy a different pentax body C.) buy a different camera.

I have 3 K mount lenses for this camera, so I'm loathe to go to a different camera altogether.
I have no intention of having it repaired. If Ricoh is so clueless/dishonest to deny even having heard of this problem, the repair will likely be with the same failure prone component.

Does anyone know if the k-50 body is experiencing the same issues?
12-02-2015, 06:53 AM   #94

For now I bought a Sigma 17-35 mm lens that has aperture ring. It works fine with my k30, the only thing is that I have to set the aperture direcly from the lens.

The k50 shares the same problem as far as I know.

If I were to change the body, I would go with a k5 II.

12-03-2015, 12:05 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yo2lzp Quote
For now I bought a Sigma 17-35 mm lens that has aperture ring. It works fine with my k30, the only thing is that I have to set the aperture direcly from the lens.

The k50 shares the same problem as far as I know.

If I were to change the body, I would go with a k5 II.
You found a workaround to the problem, but it's not normal.

I agree, skip the K-30+50 for K5ii/s
12-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #96
Forum Member

If you have the K30/K50 aperture issue, he best thing to do is take at least 5-10 pictures a day.
I notice this only developed when I shelved my camera for 4 months without use.

The best work around I've found is to put the aperture at its widest for the lens. Then take quick 3-5 burst shot. By 3-5th shot the aperture issue goes away.
Not a complete solution, but it will get your camera working like normal.

I'm just waiting for the camera to just give out completely one day. Only owned it for 2 years. So disappointing.
12-15-2015, 09:37 AM   #97

My K30 seems good so far but I see good deals on the K5IIs that I may have to use my points on

12-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Just got my K-30 back from Precision Camera today for this issue.

They replaced the Diaphragm Control Box.
12-17-2015, 11:54 PM   #99

I haven't been back to this website in a bit. Thanks for the responses. I tried the rapid shutter actuation thing....that only worked for a few days and then the camera completely died. Only 2700 shutter actuations and it's ready for the waste bin. I decided to just buy a KS-1 - for $179, I'm regarding it as a disposable purchase. I stuck with Pentax out of some misguided sense of brand loyalty- I've owned Pentax products since the 1970's, and recently have purchased some vintage Pentax binoculars for similar nostalgic reasons. I'm infuriated that Pentax/RIcoh in 2015 isn't worthy of such loyalty. They basically have left hundreds if not thousands of K-r, K-30, and K-50 owners in the lurch by continuing to manufacture products with known defective parts. In so far as I can tell from the very friendly Pentax customer service line, the replacement parts that they're repairing your camera with are no different than the parts that have failed. It's just a matter of time and luck as to when they will fail again.

I am planning on starting an online petition to try to shame Pentax into issuing a recall - even though most of these cameras are long out of warranty now. It's inexcusable for a company to either deny a problem exists (as the first customer rep did) when there's abundant evidence online of significant problem, or to downplay it (as the second rep did) and then to inform me that Pentax hasn't issued a recall because there were only a few/isolated failures and the only recourse is to replace the part with the same part that failed- at my expense!
I am going to start another thread on here where K-r, K-30, and K-50 owners can list their cameras, date of purchase, number of shutter actuations til failure, so that we can amass the quality control data that Pentax should have done in the first place.
If there is a significant number of responses- I'll write an online petition calling for a recall of the cameras so the defective parts can be replaced free of charge.
12-18-2015, 03:58 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ossa Quote
I haven't been back to this website in a bit. Thanks for the responses. I tried the rapid shutter actuation thing....that only worked for a few days and then the camera completely died. Only 2700 shutter actuations and it's ready for the waste bin. I decided to just buy a KS-1 - for $179, I'm regarding it as a disposable purchase. I stuck with Pentax out of some misguided sense of brand loyalty- I've owned Pentax products since the 1970's, and recently have purchased some vintage Pentax binoculars for similar nostalgic reasons. I'm infuriated that Pentax/RIcoh in 2015 isn't worthy of such loyalty. They basically have left hundreds if not thousands of K-r, K-30, and K-50 owners in the lurch by continuing to manufacture products with known defective parts. In so far as I can tell from the very friendly Pentax customer service line, the replacement parts that they're repairing your camera with are no different than the parts that have failed. It's just a matter of time and luck as to when they will fail again.

I am planning on starting an online petition to try to shame Pentax into issuing a recall - even though most of these cameras are long out of warranty now. It's inexcusable for a company to either deny a problem exists (as the first customer rep did) when there's abundant evidence online of significant problem, or to downplay it (as the second rep did) and then to inform me that Pentax hasn't issued a recall because there were only a few/isolated failures and the only recourse is to replace the part with the same part that failed- at my expense!
I am going to start another thread on here where K-r, K-30, and K-50 owners can list their cameras, date of purchase, number of shutter actuations til failure, so that we can amass the quality control data that Pentax should have done in the first place.
If there is a significant number of responses- I'll write an online petition calling for a recall of the cameras so the defective parts can be replaced free of charge.
I've had the same problem with my K-x after 3 years of use. It would cost me too much to repair, so I used it for a while with manual lenses (w/aperture ring). Since I got a K-5 II, my white K-x is just sitting on display on a shelf.
12-18-2015, 11:45 PM   #101

My k30 failed after one year and about 8300 actuations.
I'm sure there are so many that have this problem but didn't find this forum. They threw the camera to the bin and moved over. The power comes in numbers, so I'm in for a petition.
01-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #102

Another victim here. K-30 with 11200 actuations. Bought the camera September 2013. I will sent it to the repair center and try to use my credit card warranty extension (2 more years). Thanks to this forum I was able to unstuck the aperture withe the high speed shooting trick. It works only for a while, the next day it is stuck again.
01-12-2016, 07:57 AM   #103

I am having this underexposed issue with my K-30, I am also hoping for a recall from Pentax. Please let me know what I can do to help.
01-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #104

I would not wait for a recall since this issue was known on the K-30 and the K-50 was almost the same camera (The reason I bought the K-30 at a lower price) and nothing has been done since then. I am shopping for a K-3 or K-3 ii right now...I really love the K-30 and would still use it if It did not meant to change all the settings to do a rapid burst to unstick the aperture lever every single time I use it... and then remember to bring it back the way I like it.
01-21-2016, 10:30 PM   #105
Forum Member

Bought my K30 on 2012/2013. I'm up to around 7000+ actuation and I'm having the issue. I've actually emailed customer service about the issue, and they didn't even have the decency to reply back. I only own 3 lenses for my pentax, so if the K30 gives out completely I have no issue leaving Pentax name behind. I'll just sell all my lenses and just move on.

I'll be happy to sing the petition.