Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 flash lockup

In the field, using a flash for either fill or primary illumination for macro work, occasionally the K5 will stop triggering the flash. Under these circumstances: 1) a flash on a full function extension wire will not flash; 2) a flash on the hotshoe will not flash; 3) a flash connected to the PC socket will not flash; 4) the pop-up flash will not trigger; 5) changing the type of flash attached has no effect; 6) switching the MODE between AV and X has no effect; 7) changing the flash setting from "flash on" to "slow speed synch" to "high speed synch" to "fill flash" etc. has no effect; 8) changing ISO, APERTURE, or SHUTTER SPEED (in manual mode) has no effect; 9) turning the camera off for a few moments then back on has no effect. BUT, after several minutes, an unpredictable time period, flash triggering of all kinds reactivates. Is there some kind of internal switch or circuit protector that can temporarily disable all flash triggering? Is there a reliable way to either avoid this happening, or reliably reactivate flash triggering when it does happen?

06-30-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter

What is the trigger voltage of the hot shoe flash you are using?
06-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
What is the trigger voltage of the hot shoe flash you are using?
The trigger voltages are all "modern.' This problem can happen when using the pop-up flash, a Pentax 360 flash, a Sunpak 444, a Sunpak ring light, or a two AA Braun manual-only flash. Voltages have been checked on ALL flashes that I use - all of them are low, there are no old 250 volt circuit-burners in the lot. I did have one of the latter years back, a tiny unit made by Rollei in the 60's for the original Rollei 35. I purchased it new from a camera store that was going OOB in the 1990's for about $5. It made my ZX5n unhappy before I measured the voltage, realized the problem and ultimately disposed of the unit after it wouldn't work reliably even with a Wien "safe-synch."
06-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I was going to suggest that in AV mode you might be going above 1/180th, but in X mode it should lock to that. This isn't really a solution, but you might try pulling the battery from the camera next time it happens, maybe even turn the power switch on with the battery pulled, and press the shutter, then turn it off and reinsert the battery. If the flash still won't fire, I'd guess that maybe the flash circuitry in the camera is overheating.

06-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
I was going to suggest that in AV mode you might be going above 1/180th, but in X mode it should lock to that. This isn't really a solution, but you might try pulling the battery from the camera next time it happens, maybe even turn the power switch on with the battery pulled, and press the shutter, then turn it off and reinsert the battery. If the flash still won't fire, I'd guess that maybe the flash circuitry in the camera is overheating.
Going above 1/180 definitely not the problem. Checked that almost immediately and also switching to high speed synch with a 360 unit or the pop-up makes no difference. But good suggestion about the camera battery. Pulling the battery will sometimes resolve a variety of circuitry problems. Aside from the oddity of this happening in the first place, after it mysteriously resolves itself and starts triggering any/all flashes, it will work perfectly during the same shooting session through scores and scores of flash exposures without a misfire. And also, it is not a matter of the camera battery being low on power. Checked that first time the phenomenon arose when using the pop-up flash. Hate to say it, but never, never had such a occurrence with the Spotmatic. Misfires there were always either : 1) weak batteries in the flash; 2) bad shutter cord going to the PC socket (had a few).