Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-01 sensor cleaning

Got my K-01 in March and enjoying the heck out of it. I have been using the "dust removal" feature, but yesterday noticed spots on some snaps. The spots are consistent with different lenses. I have never let the camera sit around without a lens mounted.

I've read the manual and checked other threads, but remain confused. I charged the battery full, removed the lens and turned the camera on. It appeared to me the shutter opens when the camera turns on. I dialed up "sensor cleaning" and the only change I noticed was the red light started blinking about once a second. Manual says blinking red light shows cleaner is working. Manual also says rapid red light blinking is a no-no and camera should be turned off.

1. Is what I think, the shutter appearing to open when the camera is turned on, the way it's supposed to work?

2. Is once a second or so normal blinking or is that rapid?

3. Assuming it's an okay red light blink, how long does one let the cleaning continue? Not knowing the answer to #2, I didn't let it run very long.

4. When I look at the camera during this procedure, I see nothing. Is this magic invisible?

5. I've read everything from "rocket blower" to cotton swabs to special Pentax kit to "send it in" for cleaning options. I am ordering a rocket blower.

The most noticeable spot is just to the left of Homer's nose.

I'm uncertain how to address these spots.

Thank you in advance

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
06-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uh, wait.. there are two types of sensor cleaning. One is where the camera does the sensor shake (sounds like a vibration, short burst). This one can be set up to be done every time you turn the camera on. You should try this one first.
The other type is where the camera just opens the shutter curtain and exposes the sensor so you can clean it. When you do this, you need to have a charged battery and remove the lens, then you can use rocket blower or whatever. Do not blow on it with your mouth, since little drops of spittle can be bad for the sensor/IQ.
But yes, those dust spots on the sensor happen. Its just something thats unavoidable with digital cameras. OF course, every time you try to clean it, you can just introduce more dust. Or in worst case, damage the sensor, if you use inappropriate substances or too much force. Thats why some people like to send it in to get warranty and professional cleaning.

Also, there are a couple threads no sensor cleaning techniques. I think a rocket blower is a good place to start.
06-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You shouldnt scare the people so much, you don't clean the actual sensor but a protective filter to begin with.
And when you use commen sense and the right tools very little can go wrong.

It's actually good if you know how to clean it with the simple dry tools like a blower or static brush. You don't want to send you camera away every two months
Other tools that for example use a liquid are indeed better to be used by those who have little more experience.
For profesional cleaning you also want them to clean the actual mirror box as well. You might want to do that every one or two years to keep the amount of dust low inside the camera, which mean less cleaning.
06-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

On the k-01, I noticed that the shutter is closed when you remove the lens from the mount if the camera is powered off first. So, unless you change your lens while the camera is powered on, I don't see why you have dust particle on the sensor.

07-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
On the k-01, I noticed that the shutter is closed when you remove the lens from the mount if the camera is powered off first. So, unless you change your lens while the camera is powered on, I don't see why you have dust particle on the sensor.
It's actually more exposed then with a DSLR and you even get dust on that

You get dust in the mirror box and the movement of the shutter move the dust around slightly everytime.
07-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
And when you use commen sense and the right tools very little can go wrong. It's actually good if you know how to clean it with the simple dry tools like a blower or static brush. You don't want to send you camera away every two months Other tools that for example use a liquid are indeed better to be used by those who have little more experience.
Thats what I meant, you are right.
Dust happens. All the time. Though, I find that my K-r developed dust faster than my K-01.
Btw, some photo settings will show the dust while others won't. For example, narrow apertures, photos with bright uniform colours (like blue sky).. can show dust. But if you have a busy background or a wide aperture, the dust might not show up. Its still there, it just won't ruin your photos. And you can use the clone tool in photoshop to remove dust spots in post processing.
07-01-2013, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

The mirror obviously move around quite a bit off air when it moves, i think that makes the biggest difference.
It slaps the mirror and so dust move around the box and then the shutter moves.
07-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Personally, I would think the lens would impact dust movement in a mirrorless camera more than the shutter. As you either zoom or focus a lens, it creates either vacuum or pressure within the shutter box (I almost typed 'mirror box').

07-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Could very wellbe but it depends on the lens, only one of my lenses that has an rear element that moves is the 40mm limited all the rest has fixed rear lens.
07-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You get dust in the mirror box and the movement of the shutter move the dust around slightly everytime.
Very true, and that is precisely the reason why I advocate not to use a blower inside a mirror box. The turbulence a blower creates will swirl the dust around and when it settles it will/might find a new home somewhere. With a blower you also suck in air from the outside which is always full of dust (do the sun ray through the window test) which means your blower will become a dust cannon. It is much better to remove the dust from the sensor with a suitable device than to blow it away (temporarily).

Greetings
07-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Like to your viewfinder, luckely the K-01 hasn't one but yeah i don't like them either but it's a solution some use though.
So far i've been useing articbutterfly for over 2 years now.
12-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Time to clean the sensor has come, and I have what it takes. But I have fear of doing something wrong, where I can find a video where it's all well explained?
12-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I think there are some videos on youtube, but they appear to be made by amateurs..
What exactly do you have? A rocket blower or a cleaning solution? I'm sure there is someone on this forums that has experience with your tools and can help you out. In the mean time, charge up your battery.
12-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think there are some videos on youtube, but they appear to be made by amateurs..
What exactly do you have? A rocket blower or a cleaning solution? I'm sure there is someone on this forums that has experience with your tools and can help you out. In the mean time, charge up your battery.
Y have a roquet blower and cleaning solution , wet and dry Sweeper too
12-20-2013, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

There are many threads about how to use the rocket blower. Dismount the lens. Now just go to menu and choose sensor cleaning option. And the shutter will open. You can clearly see the sensor. Point the rocket blower in there and press it hard, so it blows the dust out.Remember, you want the dust OUT. Don't just move it around in there. And be careful not to hit the sensor with the rocket blower - don't actually touch anything. When you blew in there around 5 - 10 times (different directions) you just turn the camera to OFF and the shutter will close again. Only things to worry about the rocket blower is to make sure you don't accidentally get more dust in there, and that you don't actually touch anything.
The wet solution probably has its own instructions on how to use it. Make sure you read them from beginning to end. There are also some blogs with instructions on how to do it and what to watch out for.
I think the rocket blower should be enough. Do that first, and then test the camera. You probably don't need any scrubs yet.