Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-r: built-in flash stopped working after using external flash

I mounted an external flash (Quantaray QB6550U with a AF module) on my K-r about a week and a half ago and since then, the internal flash refuses to fire. If I have the flash mode set to auto and conditions warrant it, the flash will pop up, but doesn't fire. I've used the flash with a different (MF) module in the past and never had issues with the internal flash after disconnecting it. I've tried the Reset option in the menu, thinking that maybe some menu setting got changed to cause this. The reset had no effect whatsoever. I also thought that something might be stuck in the hot shoe, so the camera thought an external flash was still mounted, but it doesn't look like anything is there.

Since the e-dial has been acting up a bit lately, it's about time to open her up again and clean that, so I'll check the contacts on the flash, but if there's something else I should try first, I'm open to suggestions.

06-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I had a K-r a long time ago where the pop-up flash stopped working. I sent it in under warranty repair and was told they completely replaced the flash PCB. That's a circuit board, so I don't think there's anything you can do about it unless you send it in.
01-02-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Forum Member

I have the same problem, i Belive that is why pentax is cheaper than nikon and canon, lots of flaws. I also cleaned my edial because works erratic. I wanted to upgrade to k-5 but i belive will be waste of money. Since im using an external flash i dont care but this shouldn't happen.
01-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eder Quote
I have the same problem, i Belive that is why pentax is cheaper than nikon and canon, lots of flaws.
Interesting hypothesis.

I would suspect a trigger voltage or polarity issue with the Quantaray flash.

Steve

01-02-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Interesting hypothesis.

I would suspect a trigger voltage or polarity issue with the Quantaray flash.

Steve
Thats an excellent point . You really have to be careful and make sure the trigger voltage is correct. (and consistent)
i have seen this happen with other camera brands that were using older SLR third vendor hot shoe flashes.
The high end DSLRs might be able to handle it, but midrange and entry level DSLRS might have less robust control boards.

Last edited by OldNoob; 01-02-2014 at 12:45 PM.
01-02-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wedge Quote
ISince the e-dial has been acting up a bit lately, it's about time to open her up again and clean that, so I'll check the contacts on the flash, but if there's something else I should try first, I'm open to suggestions.
Make sure you have a proper resistor to drain the main flash capacitor or you may literally be in for a nasty shock.
01-03-2014, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eder Quote
i Belive that is why pentax is cheaper than nikon and canon, lots of flaws. I also cleaned my edial because works erratic.
Have you ever even held a low-tier Nikon DSLR? Their low tier cameras were more expensive than the K-r, but they feel lighter, use cheaper plastic, and at the time of the K-r they offered fewer features. Google "Nikon flash problems," you will find tonnes of reports of all kinds of problems with the built in flash. Not to mention most of the reports here seem to be people who fried their flash using an off-brand (older? cheaper?) flash. No way can you "hurr it must be the Pentax' fault!" - all digital cameras are sensitive to the voltage of external flashes, its not rocket science. Frankly, you can be glad you only fried your flash and the rest is still working. I would chalk that up to the great Pentax quality, but I think you will refuse to see it that way because you want to believe that Canikon is better. Just don't use that same flash on your D800

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-03-2014 at 04:29 AM.
01-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In the end, I shipped it off to CRIS and paid on the order of $250 for a new flash unit. The built-in flash has worked beautifully and I've not used that nasty on Quantaray on it since. I did get an AF 360FGZ which I've used on it quite a bit to great affect as well.

Thanks for the opinions and advice.

-Chad