Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Kx - Recording Audio with Video

Hello everyone,

Recently I just came into the Digital SLR realm by purchasing a Pentax Kx white "Storm Trooper" camera. I was a little disappointed when I realized that there are no accommodations for an external microphone. So my question is, I KNOW the Kx will do High Definition Video, but how do you get a "Profession" sound (or sound track) with the video? Is the mic' on the Kx sufficient enough?

Also NOTE that I have Cubase recording software that can accommodate both video and multi-channel audio. Can I use this to clean up or enhance the "Audio" of the Hi Def' video from the Kx.

My goal is to make a sort of "Infomercial" for a website I'm thinking of building.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

07-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by guitardude Quote
Hello everyone,

Recently I just came into the Digital SLR realm by purchasing a Pentax Kx white "Storm Trooper" camera. I was a little disappointed when I realized that there are no accommodations for an external microphone. So my question is, I KNOW the Kx will do High Definition Video, but how do you get a "Profession" sound (or sound track) with the video? Is the mic' on the Kx sufficient enough?

Also NOTE that I have Cubase recording software that can accommodate both video and multi-channel audio. Can I use this to clean up or enhance the "Audio" of the Hi Def' video from the Kx.

My goal is to make a sort of "Infomercial" for a website I'm thinking of building.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David
Your best bet might be to use an external audio recorder and then merge the tracks using video software. The K-x has a mono mic, so the audio won't be that great, though you can certainly try it and see if it's good enough for your needs

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Turn off Image Stabilization, use manual focus (both features are noisy, very much so if using the internal mic).
The mic on the K-x is fine but pretty basic, as Adam says, you're better off using an external recorder if possible.

You know in the movies when they have a clapper-chalkboard and someone says "Take 25" or something and snaps it shut?
That's for syncing the audio and video tracks, you have the visual cue of the board closing and the 'snap' sound. Put the two at the same point and the following audio and video will be in sync.
Of course you can just stand in front of your camera and clap your hands or whatever at the start of each clip.
07-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is software that sync everything, it's called pluraleyes