Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #1

K-5 ii RAW issue

Hi,
Just bought a K-5 ii and took about 400 shots over three or four days. I imported them into Aperture 3. The image previews all looked fine when I was selecting which ones to import, but 13 images had problems when Aperture 3 created its previews. For 12 of the images, about half of the preview was white - always at the bottom of landscape mode. These white areas is in the opened images also. For the 13th problem image, Aperture said it was an unrecognized image. I dragged the thirteenth image into Aperture and it was fine. Nothing seemes to help the other 12. Other apps including Elements 10 and Photoshop yield the same results.
I tried a new sd card and shot PEF instead of DNG and still had the same issue for many pics although there were colour streaks in the white areas then.
Helpful information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tony

07-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't sound good. Seriously consider exchanging for another body.
07-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi again,
This is what the pics look like.
Thanks,
Tony
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
07-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't know what's causing your problem, but here's a detail that might help you understand what's happening. PEF and DNG both contain an embedded JPG preview. Sometimes, the main image gets corrupted while the preview portion is okay. When you first import and view the image it might look good because the JPG preview is being used, but as soon as your software tries to read the main PEF or DNG the corrupted portion shows. I have seen similar problems in Lightroom.

Intermittent problems likes this are difficult to troubleshoot. Possible sources of the error are: memory card, camera, memory card reader, software.

07-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I don't know what's causing your problem, but here's a detail that might help you understand what's happening. PEF and DNG both contain an embedded JPG preview. Sometimes, the main image gets corrupted while the preview portion is okay. When you first import and view the image it might look good because the JPG preview is being used, but as soon as your software tries to read the main PEF or DNG the corrupted portion shows. I have seen similar problems in Lightroom.

Intermittent problems likes this are difficult to troubleshoot. Possible sources of the error are: memory card, camera, memory card reader, software.
Thanks for the input DeadJohn. I have had the problem with two freshly formatted cards. It has occurred on three or four different apps. It occurs whether I import through the camera or the sd card slot. I think I'll be visiting the camera store tomorrow as foto guy suggested.
Thanks,
Tony
07-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
Doesn't sound good. Seriously consider exchanging for another body.
I think I'll follow your suggestion.
Thanks,
Tony
07-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by anthonyarm Quote
I think I'll be visiting the camera store tomorrow as foto guy suggested.
Good luck I hope it all works out for you, give us an update later as to how you got on.

07-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
I brought the camera back to HENRY'S. They checked it out and saw the same issue. They ordered a replacement that might be in tomorrow. While I was at the store, the camera was tested for the problem in jpeg and RAW. There were no problems with the jpegs. I keep the camera until the new one arrives, so I took a few more shots today in RAW+ so that both jpeg and RAW files were created. One RAW file was corrupted, but the corresponding jpeg was fine. DeadJohn might have narrowed the problem down when he said, "PEF and DNG both contain an embedded JPG preview."
07-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt you'll have the same issue with the new one. Good luck!