Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dropped my Q, now there is dust underneath the LCD cover

Long story short this weekend the Q fell out of my camera chest bag when I nearly toppled over. It fell onto a rock that had some ashes on it from a campfire. Luckily it landed on the corner of the camera, and not on the fishy lens I had attached (which didn't even have the lens covering on it!).

The impact caused the corner to separate from the seal a bit. My guess is that when it happened, there was a sudden rush of air and a bunch of ashes and dust got sucked in. The Q works perfectly fine otherwise, but now there is a bunch of dust underneath the LCD, and it's really annoying to look at.

Is there any way to remove the LCD cover or otherwise get underneath the glass so I can sweep/blow out the ashes that are trapped underneath?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
07-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It hold together with double sided tape film around the edges and any kind of strong enough suction cup should be able to pull it off. The tape is probably bad though.
07-02-2013, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

That's a pity.
You may be able to get the ding out as well. Go to a model shop (ie model planes and trains) and ask someone there to recommend a good metal filler. Can then just touch up the paint. The model shop may sell thin double sided foam tape as well.
07-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
It hold together with double sided tape film around the edges and any kind of strong enough suction cup should be able to pull it off. The tape is probably bad though.
Yay!

I thought I would have to do some unscrewing to get it off. But since you told me it was just held on with tape, I just went ahead and pried it off with a mini screwdriver.

Success! It was popped off fairly easily, and then I just cleaned it out using a Lenspen brush and rocket blower. The adhesive was also still strong enough that I just popped the cover back on and it's on there quite strong.

I *did* accidentally cause a minor nick on the actual LCD itself with the screwdriver, but that was my fault and it's small anyways, and much preferable to all of the ash and dust that was in there. In the future I will be more careful, if I ever have to do this again.

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
That's a pity.
You may be able to get the ding out as well. Go to a model shop (ie model planes and trains) and ask someone there to recommend a good metal filler. Can then just touch up the paint. The model shop may sell thin double sided foam tape as well.
I'm actually not concerned at all about the cosmetic markings. The Q was pretty cheap.

Thanks for both of your responses though! Now my Q has some character, AND it's still very usable.

07-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Yay!

I thought I would have to do some unscrewing to get it off. But since you told me it was just held on with tape, I just went ahead and pried it off with a mini screwdriver.

Success! It was popped off fairly easily, and then I just cleaned it out using a Lenspen brush and rocket blower. The adhesive was also still strong enough that I just popped the cover back on and it's on there quite strong.

I *did* accidentally cause a minor nick on the actual LCD itself with the screwdriver, but that was my fault and it's small anyways, and much preferable to all of the ash and dust that was in there. In the future I will be more careful, if I ever have to do this again.

I'm actually not concerned at all about the cosmetic markings. The Q was pretty cheap.

Thanks for both of your responses though! Now my Q has some character, AND it's still very usable.
Glad that you're happy with the state of your Q, but.....remind me to never lend you, or have you attempt repair at, any of my gear I baby it in comparison with you, and would spend forever agonizing (obsessing?) over the nick in the LCD.
07-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd take the whole thing apart.
07-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Have a post operation photo?

07-03-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds like a post-op X-ray would be more appropriate
07-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Glad that you're happy with the state of your Q, but.....remind me to never lend you, or have you attempt repair at, any of my gear I baby it in comparison with you, and would spend forever agonizing (obsessing?) over the nick in the LCD.
Hehe. I'm one of those people that loves having used, beat-up gear. Not just for camera gear either, but all of my other things.

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I'd take the whole thing apart.
That was a serious consideration for plan B. Q bodies are so cheap now, that I figured it would probably be worth the learning experience.

Yup! (I should have taken some pics of it while the LCD cover was off though, but I forgot)

You can see the scratch there. It's visible even when the LCD is on.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
07-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hehe. I'm one of those people that loves having used, beat-up gear. Not just for camera gear either, but all of my other things.
Alright, then, for your next camera repair, try this then:

07-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I envy your ability to not sweat the small stuff. On the other hand my K10d is still in factory condition.

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Alright, then, for your next camera repair, try this then:
On this tangent... I was using a 3lb hammer all weekend to remove tiles with a cold chisel and I can say now that I'm totally amazed how durable my left index finger is. Hit it hard at least 6 times and it's not even bruised, never mind broken.
07-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I envy your ability to not sweat the small stuff. On the other hand my K10d is still in factory condition.

On this tangent... I was using a 3lb hammer all weekend to remove tiles with a cold chisel and I can say now that I'm totally amazed how durable my left index finger is. Hit it hard at least 6 times and it's not even bruised, never mind broken.
Clearly, you need a bigger hammer