Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
....uh-oh... stuck teleconverter

So i purchased some old lenses and a Tamron MC Tele Converter 2X this afternoon. I got home shot some pics with the SMC-A 135mm 2.8 then decided to attach the 2X tele-converter to the lens. When I tried to remove the converter from the lens I found that it won't detach. How do I get the converter detached from the lens? the only mechanical part I see on the converter is a little silver knob on the side....

07-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The silver knob should be the lens release.
07-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The lens release should slide in the direction away from the lens. This retracts the locking pin and you should be able to twist the lens to remove it.
07-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, I pushed in on that knob, I pulled out on that knob, I pushed that knob left and then right. ....what I didn't try before posting on pentaxforums was to pull down on that knob! Thanks. BTW do you know anything about that particular converter? its says: Tamron MC Tele Converter 2X Japan (4). Also I purchased an old spotmatic camera with the following lenses for $90.00 on craigslist. Any thoughts on the lenses that came with it?
-Super Takumar 1:3.5/ 35 screw mount
-Super-Takumar 1:1.8/ 55 screw mount
-Super Takumar 1:3.5/ 135 screw mount
-Kiron 80-200mm f4.5 Macro 1:4
-SMC pentax-M 1:2 50mm
-SMC Pentax-A 1:2.8 135mm
...The screw mounts didn't have the adapter, so I looked on ebay and noticed the prices ranged from $5 - $55. Any recommendations?

07-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

Play it safe and get the original Pentax "mount adapter K" (part number 30120), or conceivably you could be writing again asking how to ...
07-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Play it safe and get the original Pentax "mount adapter K" (part number 30120), or conceivably you could be writing again asking how to ...
Thanks!
07-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I recently picked up a Tamron-F SP Tele-Converter 2X KR BBAR MC7 from Craigslist. The KR indicates that it has a Ricoh pin. Oddly enough, the pin does not line up with the focus screw of my camera. The converter does transmit the aperture setting to the camera.

Tim
07-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can't find any info on the one that I have. I could not get my DA 55-300 to auto focus with the converter connected to it.

07-03-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djam Quote
I can't find any info on the one that I have. I could not get my DA 55-300 to auto focus with the converter connected to it.
An AF lens will only AF with an AF converter...

This one works well with the 55-300.

Vivitar 1.4x Tele Converter for Pentax VIV-1.4X-P

I have a 2x AF TC and the 55-300 will not AF past 200mm. The FA 80-320 will AF to 300mm but not at 320mm...

The TC you have probably doesn't even have A contacts let alone AF.
07-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
Site Supporter

With very few exceptions, on a digital camera you will have better image quality to skip using a teleconverter and instead, crop your image.
07-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Mine does not auto focus either. It does let you set the aperture through the camera.

My TC informaton (Tamron-F SP Tele-Converter 2X KR BBAR MC7) was written around the barrel of the TC.

Tim
07-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Wow, I pushed in on that knob, I pulled out on that knob, I pushed that knob left and then right. ....what I didn't try before posting on pentaxforums was to pull down on that knob! Thanks. BTW do you know anything about that particular converter? its says: Tamron MC Tele Converter 2X Japan (4). Also I purchased an old spotmatic camera with the following lenses for $90.00 on craigslist. Any thoughts on the lenses that came with it?
-Super Takumar 1:3.5/ 35 screw mount
-Super-Takumar 1:1.8/ 55 screw mount
-Super Takumar 1:3.5/ 135 screw mount
-Kiron 80-200mm f4.5 Macro 1:4
-SMC pentax-M 1:2 50mm
-SMC Pentax-A 1:2.8 135mm
...The screw mounts didn't have the adapter, so I looked on ebay and noticed the prices ranged from $5 - $55. Any recommendations?
A very common error. Many times the lens release has a plastic part on it that makes it obvious from the shape which way to push. These often break off (as it did on my Vivitar TC - repaired with the help of dental acrylic) leaving just a metal stud.

Nice assortment of lenses. And if they are in good working order a fantastic bargain. As recommended before get the genuine Pentax K-mount adapter. The one that SRB in the UK sells appears to be problem free too. Otherwise if you buy a third party adapter it is advisable to remove the spring clip - usually held on with a screw.

The Pentax-A when on the A setting can be with all the modes and will give you matrix metering.

I have the first edition of the Kiron 80-200mm zoom. It is f/4 and the front element rotates when focusing. Later editions were f/4.5 and have zoom lock or zoom and focus lock. This was my most used lens with my Minolta body. Maybe not as good optically as the 70-210mm but still a nice performer.

Happy photographing!
07-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
A very common error. Many times the lens release has a plastic part on it that makes it obvious from the shape which way to push. These often break off (as it did on my Vivitar TC - repaired with the help of dental acrylic) leaving just a metal stud.

Nice assortment of lenses. And if they are in good working order a fantastic bargain. As recommended before get the genuine Pentax K-mount adapter. The one that SRB in the UK sells appears to be problem free too. Otherwise if you buy a third party adapter it is advisable to remove the spring clip - usually held on with a screw.

The Pentax-A when on the A setting can be with all the modes and will give you matrix metering.

I have the first edition of the Kiron 80-200mm zoom. It is f/4 and the front element rotates when focusing. Later editions were f/4.5 and have zoom lock or zoom and focus lock. This was my most used lens with my Minolta body. Maybe not as good optically as the 70-210mm but still a nice performer.

Happy photographing!
Thanks for the advice. As for the lenses, they are in near perfect condition. I shot a bunch of test images today with the K-mount lenses and I'm very pleased with the results. I especially like the 135mm 2.8. As for the Kiron 80-200 f4.5 I was absolutely shocked by the sharpness at the pics up to about 135mm. I noticed that the pics don't have as much contrast as my DA 55-300, but images were sharper with the Kiron. My Kiron doesn't have a zoom lock or focus lock which makes it a bit difficult to lock into a zoom range. As for Tamron 2X tele converter it appears to be junk, as every pic I took with it seriously degraded the sharpness of the image.

Can't wait to get the screw mount adapter and see what the Takumar lenses are like. BTW I stumbled upon a SMC Pentax-M 100mm F2.8 at a pawn shop that the saleslady said she would sell for $50. It was listed at $99 and looked to be in very good condition. My question is whether it would be any better than either of the 135mm I already have???

Last edited by djam; 07-03-2013 at 05:47 PM.
07-03-2013, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Take the glass out of the Tamron TC and use it as a short extension tube for macro/close-up work.
07-04-2013, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
With very few exceptions, on a digital camera you will have better image quality to skip using a teleconverter and instead, crop your image.
As for Tamron 2X tele converter it appears to be junk, as every pic I took with it seriously degraded the sharpness of the image.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Take the glass out of the Tamron TC and use it as a short extension tube for macro/close-up work.
Everyone seems to have to learn this for themselves .... I can't say I am any better. While you won't have as much control over the extension tube length, de-glassing auto TC's seems to be the least expensive way to create a set of extension tubes that support A-series or better lenses. All you lose is auto-focus.