Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #1

K-30 only focusing on live view with 31mm AL Limited

Hey guys

So, I recently purchased a K-30 to upgrade from my K-7.
Now, my favorite lens, the 31mm AL Limited, works perfectly with my K-7
Upon testing it with the K-30, it simply wouldn't focus. Even if I try manual focus, right at the moment the shutter clicks, the photo 'unfocuses' and comes out completely out of focus.
In my despair, I had the brilliant idea of turning on Live View, and, oddly enough, focus works perfectly, but only in Live View (with both auto and manual focus).

Does anyone have ANY idea of what could be wrong? I tested the K-30 with my other lenses, and it's working fine. I also updated the firmware.

07-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Manual focus fails? Are you remembering to switch AF off before attempting manual focus?

Steve
07-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Manual focus fails? Are you remembering to switch AF off before attempting manual focus?

Steve
Yes, it doesn't work either way.
07-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
Bumping this up in case anyone can shed some light =\

07-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've not read any problem like this before, there may be something simple causing it and sometimes simple things are anything but simple.
On the autofocus settings in the custom menu, what type of priority do you have set?
Does this happen with other lenses?
How are you releasing the shutter, button or remote?

Can you describe step by step how you are shooting? The fact you are coming from a K7 you probably are not doing anything wrong, but maybe somebody will notice something, a setting or perhaps a combination of settings that could cause this.

A call to Pentax service may be next.
07-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #6

Original Poster
It's focus priority, though I've tried the other options. Shutter is released either with timer or by pressing it down, but the focus changes before that. This problem only happens with my 31mm, but this same lens works perfectly with the K-7.
I'm feeling a bit hopeless because I live in Brazil and there is no South America technical support I can call.