Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 04:44 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dtmateojr Quote
I'm wondering how you guys "walk around" with so much gear. I thought walk around kit is something that you bring, say, during lunch breaks.
I'm sure many of us are describing a looser interpretation of the phrase "walk around". As dadipentak has mentioned earlier many of us are more apt to be roaming within a certain radius of our vehicle, so our walk or knock around kit is what we carry in our regular day to day camera bag. So at least in my case I am interpreting "walk around" as a synonym for "daily use bag". I suspect the go-lite movement is one reason the various high end digital compacts have become in vogue.

07-21-2013, 05:09 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidlapper Quote
I'm sure many of us are describing a looser interpretation of the phrase "walk around". As dadipentak has mentioned earlier many of us are more apt to be roaming within a certain radius of our vehicle, so our walk or knock around kit is what we carry in our regular day to day camera bag. So at least in my case I am interpreting "walk around" as a synonym for "daily use bag". I suspect the go-lite movement is one reason the various high end digital compacts have become in vogue.
I understand "walk around" as when responsiveness and versatility trump absolute image quality.
Where the photo opportunities are random and unpredictable so the best combination of body and lens is the one you happen to have in your hand at the moment.

Last edited by wildman; 07-21-2013 at 05:24 AM.
08-18-2014, 07:56 AM   #63

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My walking around kit if i want to travel light is my Olympus omd em5 12-50mm lens and Ricoh GR
08-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #64
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I'll add my bit of advice on this topic. Make sure your zooms do overlap.

I grabbed just my 18-55 and 55-300 for a wedding last year. I was a guest, not an official photographer and wanted some candid photos of family members we do not see very often. No bag, just my jacket pocket for the unused lens. It felt like the next shot really needed the lens that was in my pocket - because it was just the other side of that 55mm boundary. 'Zooming with my feet', wasn't practical. I finally gave up and used the 18-55 most of the time and cropped later.

A month after that I found my used F 35-70 to bridge the gap.

Today's WALKING (meaning lightweight) kit? DA 18-135 and DA L 55-300, extra SD card, extra battery, lens pen (rarely used in the field), monopod with quick release (doubles as a walking stick).
UPDATE: I am now on the road for business quite a bit. The above is still my non-business walk around kit, but on business trips I am already toting a notebook, a netbook, an external monitor, a 7" tablet and all the accessories. There is NO room left in my backpack for a dSLR with even one lens. I picked up a Nikon P7100 to make do. It is the last Nikon P&S that includes an optical viewfinder in addition to the LCD screen. It has more advanced controls if I need them. But to be honest, I tend to shoot the equivalent of RAW+ in full auto mode and make the best of what I have in post processing.

08-21-2014, 06:11 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Like most folks above it depends.

When I think about my normal walk around gear I'm probably a little different than most. When I go for a walk for some exercise I almost always carry my K5, monopod and Pentax M 400/5.6. It just toss it over my shoulder and I'm good for a long hike. I find I can combine a couple of my hobbies, exercise and birding, with this combo. This kit, if you can call it that, is in use for about 90% of my walk abouts.

If on vacation or some other sort of outing I travel lighter with just the K5 and Pentax DA* 16~50/2.8. Oddly this lighter outfit actually seems heavier to me by the end of the day than the K5/400mm combo. I suppose it is because the I can sling the 400, camera and monopod over my shoulder. be it left or right, as I walk around. The K5 and zoom can feel like an anchor around my neck by the end of the day.

I also have a carry around bag which I admit I don't carry around very much as it gets rather heavy. It does let me carry enough gear to handle just about anything I might want to shoot. It's an old Fotima bag which holds my:

Pentax K 24/2.8
Pentax M 35/2
Pentax M 50/1.4
Pentax DA 70/2.4
Pentax A 100/2.8 macro
Pentax K 200/2.5
Pentax DA*16~50/2.8
Pentax K5
Pentax AF360FGZ flash

I have carried this load while walking about from time to time but much less so in the past few years as I have become a lot smarter regarding the gear I am most likely to actually use. As Dave mentioned above most of this load will stay in the car as I roam about coming back to get items I need as I need them. After all the car has a trunk. I might as well use it as carry a trunk around with me.

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-21-2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo
08-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #66
Forum Member

I have a couple of load-outs depending on the situation.

Photo walk in a group:
  • K-r with DA 40mm f/2.8 attached
  • FA 50mm f/1.4
  • Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
  • Sigma 75-200mm f/3.8
  • Mamiya M645 with 80mm f/2.8
  • Extra batteries, film, cleaning supplies, etc.

Vacation/hiking kit:
  • K-r with Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 attached
  • FA 50mm f/1.4
  • Sigma 75-200mm f/3.8
  • MeFOTO BackPacker

"Light" kit:
  • K-r with DA 40mm f/2.8 attached
  • Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
  • Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531 (folder)

Super-light kit:
  • K-r with DA 35mm f/2.4 attached
  • Extra battery in my pocket
  • OR Q10 with 02 lens attached when cycling

I'm trying to lighten up my light kit some more so I'm looking to pick up the DA 21mm f/3.2 in the next few months and leave the Tamron at home
08-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #67
Site Supporter

I try to cover the 24-85 range, unless it's a special event and I need a longer range than 85. Since I only have 3 lenses( 16-45mm f4, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8) I usually carry the 16-45mm f4 and the 50 f1.8. The 50mm is small enough to fit in my pocket so I don't need a bag.
08-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because I have way too much gear, I always have to pick a combination that best fits what I intend to do. Although I own a holster bag (which I rarely use) and a number of lens cases, I don't actually own any camera bags big enough to carry an SLR and lenses (I hate bags). So I tend to keep things light, especially if I plan on leaving the car for any extended period (I don't like leaving expensive gear in the car). If I'm concentrating on landscape shots, I'll usually take DA 15 plus one of my zooms, and maybe another prime or two. When shooting redwoods, it's usually the DA 15 with the DA 17-70. For seascapes, it might be the DA 15, the M 20, and the K 28 3.5; or the DA 15 and the FA 20-35. For more conventional landscapes I might add an IR converted Oly EPL-1 + standard zoom and fisheye lens. A tripod always comes with in such situations.

For wildlife, I'll take the DA* 300 and possibly a standard zoom for landscapes. I also have a m43 kit that fits in a small bag that can be taken along for landscape shots as well.

For zoo photography, it's either the DA* 300 or the Tamron 70-200, rarely both. If I need to go wider, I'll take the Oly 14-150 as well.

For longer trips, I'll take more gear, often as much as I can stuff in a Pacsafe duffel bag. For a weekend at Crater Lake, I might take the DA 15, the DA 10-17, the FA 20-35, the FA 24-90, and the Tammy 70-200.