Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #1

Optio RZ18 turns off right after turning it on

My Optio RZ18 is acting up. After pressing the power button, the lens will come out, the screen will open, and then *pooof* the camera will close again.

This would happen before only when I try to zoom the lens. I could use the camera fine before as long as I would not use the zoom. The zoom was fine for only about three months and then it was gone. Now, the camera wouldn't even stay open for more than two seconds even with the battery fully charged. I didn't drop the camera. It didn't get wet. I didn't overuse it. As a matter of fact, I wasn't given the opportunity to over use it because the zoom, as I said, started acting up.

I know there was a thread already existing about this and I also posted there. The DIY solution mentioned there about the blue button didn't work for me so I am still stuck with my defective Optio RZ18.

I took it to a service center and they said there was some dirt stuck inside or something. Note that I am now rich and that I saved really hard for that camera. The Pentax service center quoted me a price tantamount to buying a new camera (albeit with lower specifications, but still).

I wanted to open the camera myself and try to fix it. I have precision tools (small screw drivers and Phillips used to open gadgets such as mobile phones, cameras, handheld consoles, etc.). However, when I try to open my Optio RZ18, the precision tool will just scratch the screws attached to the camera. I think they are made of softer material or something.

I hope someone had a similar problem and was able to resolve it. Sorry for the rant. I hope to receive a reply. Thank you very much.

07-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Sorry you are having a problem. I was going to suggest a new battery, in case the old battery has failed. You can order an aftermarket one from B&H for less than $20, for example. If that doesn't work, you could mitigate your loss buy using it as a spare battery for one of the Pentax WG series cameras which it will also fit. That's assuming that you would want to stay with a Pentax.

On the other hand, if you took it to a proper Pentax service center and they actually looked at it, they probably would have tried a new battery and ruled that out. I guess I'm not sure if the Pentax service center actually looked at the camera, or if they just quoted you a standard price because it is out of warranty.

Good luck.
07-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Tanzer.

Someone from another forum also suggested the battery route. The thought that the battery might be faulty didn't even cross my mind. I instantly assumed that it was the lens. I will try to find out more and report back here for the benefit of others who may be having the same issues. Thank you again.

Cheers!
07-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree, my Samsung will do the exact same thing if the battery is dead.