Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

DA 35mm f2.4 Reverse Macro?

Hello again Pentaxians.
I got my 35mm 2.4 a few weeks ago and totally love it, I've tried using it reversed on camera (holding it to the body in video mode) and I was surprised with how nice the macro capability is when lens is reversed.
I wanted to ask though, would such reverse ring like this one work or does it require some other reverse ring? Thanks for your advice, and definitely try the reverse lens trick with the 35mm, it's awesome!

07-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The reverse adapter seems to be the right one.

But you know, that a lens without an aperture ring will always work with the smallest aperture (probably F22 with your lens)?

I've heard about tools to be fixed at the bajonet to keep the aperture open (adjustable). But lately I haven't seen any offer for such a tool.

Last edited by RKKS08; 07-04-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Corrected wrong information
07-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I ordered the ring today, it really seems to be the right one.
The aperture is smallest when you take the lens off of the camera but on the end there's a visible plastic piece that you can pull down to open the aperture, it's fairly easy to hold it down with a finger mainly when I won't have to hold the lens to the camera anymore
07-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by polmar Quote
I ordered the ring today, it really seems to be the right one.
The aperture is smallest when you take the lens off of the camera but on the end there's a visible plastic piece that you can pull down to open the aperture, it's fairly easy to hold it down with a finger mainly when I won't have to hold the lens to the camera anymore
You can use some plastic tubing or wedge the aperture lever with something. You can make a hood out of a spare lens cap by cutting out the center. The Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 is a good candidate for reversing because it's inexpensive, greater magnification than the 35mm and the aperture ring holds the blades open for you.

07-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
You can use some plastic tubing or wedge the aperture lever with something. You can make a hood out of a spare lens cap by cutting out the center. The Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 is a good candidate for reversing because it's inexpensive, greater magnification than the 35mm and the aperture ring holds the blades open for you.
I am trying to calm my LBA so I won't be investing in any new lenses for atleast 3 months now
07-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, if you can deal with the missing aperture ring, you should be fine. But thats easier said than done. The problem is, it will be hard to know exactly what aperture you are using without any markings, and for macro you probably want something around f11-16, so you have to find the sweet spot. But if you have a "studio" type setup and a lot of time, it would be interesting. Be sure to post some photos of the results