Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Can i use the focus ring on AF?

HI, i was wondering if i can use the focus ring on autofocus, i mean not while im halfpressing the shutter release button but before.
Like for example if a lense is noisy and im near a bird, can i use the focus ring to get the bird on focus and then half press the shutter button so the autofocus finish the focusing? or mabe when a subject is small (in other words can i help manualy the AF?).

żdoes this depende on the lense, or all are equal?

I am new and i dont wan't to damage my lense or camera.

Thanks

07-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This depends on which lens. Some lenses have a feature called "quick shift" which is designed to do exactly what you describe. On other lenses with screw drive, when you turn the focus ring while in AF you are actually turning the focusing motor in the camera as well. This is possible, and I think many of us have done it, but it is most definitely not recommended.

If you don't have a quick shift capable lens then you should turn the AF off if you want to manually focus.

There is also a trick some use where if you depress the lens release button it retracts the screw drive mechanism and allows manual focus. I don't do that because I'm afraid the lens will fall off but some people do use it.
07-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by carlosodze Quote
HI, i was wondering if i can use the focus ring on autofocus, i mean not while im halfpressing the shutter release button but before.
Like for example if a lense is noisy and im near a bird, can i use the focus ring to get the bird on focus and then half press the shutter button so the autofocus finish the focusing? or mabe when a subject is small (in other words can i help manualy the AF?).

żdoes this depende on the lense, or all are equal?

I am new and i dont wan't to damage my lense or camera.

Thanks
Most DA and Sigma lenses will let you do this.

In our lens database, look for the blue "quick shift" icon.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This depends on which lens. Some lenses have a feature called "quick shift" which is designed to do exactly what you describe. On other lenses with screw drive, when you turn the focus ring while in AF you are actually turning the focusing motor in the camera as well. This is possible, and I think many of us have done it, but it is most definitely not recommended.

If you don't have a quick shift capable lens then you should turn the AF off if you want to manually focus.

There is also a trick some use where if you depress the lens release button it retracts the screw drive mechanism and allows manual focus. I don't do that because I'm afraid the lens will fall off but some people do use it.
Actually, Quick Shift is for fine tuning focus after auto focusing and while maintaining a half press on the shutter. Holding or turning the quick shift ring while auto focusing can damage the lens / camera screw drive.

07-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi, im a little confuse, żdo i have to halfpress the shutter button to use the focus ring? but when i halfpress the AF starts looking and moving.
07-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Actually, Quick Shift is for fine tuning focus after auto focusing and while maintaining a half press on the shutter. Holding or turning the quick shift ring while auto focusing can damage the lens / camera screw drive.
This depends on the lens. On an SDM lens you can turn the quick shift independently of the autofocus mechanism. On a screwdrive lens you can turn it after the AF has finished if you maintain a half press. Assuming you have the shutter release button set to autofocus. I do not, I use the AF button for autofocus which means I can use the quickshift at any time, as long as the camera is not actively focusing.

My method is to use the AF button to focus then release the button and use quickshift to fine tune the focus then press the shutter button to take a picture. If you have the shutter button set to focus on half press this will not work.
07-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You can also press down the lens release button to disable AF while focusing, if your lens does not have quick shift.
07-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This depends on the lens. On an SDM lens you can turn the quick shift independently of the autofocus mechanism. On a screwdrive lens you can turn it after the AF has finished if you maintain a half press.
First time hearing that about screwdrive lens, it's at least not the case with the 3 screwdrive quickshift lenses i've so i've no idea where you get that information from?
I use it a lot with my lenses to make sure the AF focus correct, so i actually always use quick-shift before AF.

07-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It depends on the lens, so read the lens manual. "DA L" kit lenses do not allow it.
If you force it, you can damage the AF mechanism (there were reports of people doing this)
07-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
Banned

Hi, im a little confuse, żdo i have to halfpress the shutter button to use the focus ring? but when i halfpress the AF starts looking and moving.
You can safely turn it before half pressing to auto focus, or after while still at half press if it's a quick shift lens (assuming you have shutter button focus enabled), but never during the auto focus cycle.
07-05-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
Site Supporter

For quickshift lenses you can setup in the customizations the AF button to 'AF Cancel'. Then pressing the AF button will allow you to quickshift.
07-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
You can't use quick shift when the continuous focus is turned on, it'll keep tracking the subject & lock the focus ring. Switch to AF only. Do not let go the shutter button & turn the focus ring to focus.
07-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #13

Original Poster
Ok thanks everybody for your answers, i have two lenses the d fa 100mm f2.8 wr that has quick shift and the fa 100-300mm that doesn't have quick shift .
So to sum up i can use the focus ring on the one with quick shift as long as the AF mechanism is not working (but with the camera on AF). and for the other one i have to switch to manual focus to use the focus ring.
07-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
Site Supporter

So to sum up i can use the focus ring on the one with quick shift as long as the AF mechanism is not working (but with the camera on AF). and for the other one i have to switch to manual focus to use the focus ring.
That is correct. So many words we have taken to explain something so simple.

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
First time hearing that about screwdrive lens, it's at least not the case with the 3 screwdrive quickshift lenses i've so i've no idea where you get that information from?
Anvh, what I posted is correct. I did not mention that you could use it BEFORE the AF because I thought that was obvious. The OP stated he was having problems with the AF moving his focus point when he half pressed the shutter button. Which it would if he used QS and then pressed the shutter button. So half pressing and then adjusting while holding the half press will work for him. The important point is to not use QS when the AF mechanism is active. As usual my post might perhaps have been a little more complete but it was certainly correct.
07-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Ah okay, because you said after Af is finished.
I thought it was abvious you can not do auto focus and manual focus at the same time.