Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Live view on k-30

I have never used live view, because I've never figured out how it's supposed to work. Is it just as simple as pressing the LV button? Is there any particular mode in which it won't work? I run in manual mode with manual focus 99% of the time. I've tried pressing it in other modes, still no cigar. Is it supposed to be a quick delete button too? If so, that doesn't work either. Am I doing something wrong, or is my button stuffed? This camera is only a month and a bit old.

07-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timbo Quote
Is it just as simple as pressing the LV button?
Yes.
Is there any particular mode in which it won't work?
Not that I know of.
Is it supposed to be a quick delete button too?
Now I'm lost.

LV allows the back LCD to be used as the viewfinder. Sort of like a mirrorless camera, the mirror is locked up and what you see on the LCD is what the sensor is seeing. Focus as you wish then press the shutter button to take an image.
07-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

LV allows the back LCD to be used as the viewfinder. Sort of like a mirrorless camera, the mirror is locked up and what you see on the LCD is what the sensor is seeing. Focus as you wish then press the shutter button to take an image.
Then I guess my button isn't working... great.
07-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then I guess my button isn't working... great.
Interesting, what happens when you press the button? Anything at all?

07-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Interesting, what happens when you press the button? Anything at all?
Absolutely nothing, in any mode.
07-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Absolutely nothing, in any mode.
Yeah that doesn't sound good. What should happen is that when you press the button the mirror locks up and you can see 'live' what the sensor sees. I've been trying to think of anything that would not let that happen but I'm not getting anywhere. What type of lens? Just reaching at this point but maybe try a different lens.

Also, try pushing the button in and wiggling it to see if maybe it is just stiff.

But I'm afraid that's all I can think of. Maybe somebody else will jump in with a better idea.
07-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah that doesn't sound good. What should happen is that when you press the button the mirror locks up and you can see 'live' what the sensor sees. I've been trying to think of anything that would not let that happen but I'm not getting anywhere. What type of lens? Just reaching at this point but maybe try a different lens.

Also, try pushing the button in and wiggling it to see if maybe it is just stiff.

But I'm afraid that's all I can think of. Maybe somebody else will jump in with a better idea.
Tried it with a Revuenon 55mm, a D FA 100mm WR, and I'm pretty sure with a 15mm ltd as well. All nothing. Tried holding it down as well. Nothing. Think I'll have to just take it in sometime when I can bear to part with it.

I wonder how long it will take to service.

07-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I thought it might be something in the menu options, but I can't find anything that would turn it off, just several settings. I always shoot in M (Manual) mode, and live view works fine although I never use it.

As for the Delete option, it should work as a delete button when viewing a picture. if you use the blue Review arrow (I don't know what the proper name for it is) it should let you look at whatever picture you took last. Then push the Live View/Delete button and it should give you the option to delete that picture.

Try that, it also lets you NOT delete the picture, and it may tell you whether the button works at all.

As far as I know, there's no picture taking mode that should not allow Live View, I can only use Manual and Aperture Priority, but it works in both of those modes. Works in Bulb mode too.
07-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Have you tried viewing images on the LCD using the blue 'Play' button? If that works, then take a junk shot, play it and press the LV/garbage can button. You should be offered an opportunity to delete your junk shot. If so, the button itself is fine.

What happens when you try movie mode? Mechanically most of the same things happen as in LiveView - mirror up, what the sensor sees is on the LCD. The biggest difference of course is in movie mode, pressing the shutter release starts recording video rather than a single image. If shooting video works, that rules out a bunch more mechanical components and the focus is now solely on the electronics.

Have you tried going into the Menu and doing a reset? I agree with Paleo Pete that I can't think of a single thing that you could have done to disable LV, but a reset might get you out of some quagmire of incompatible settings.
07-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

JimJohnson - Good call, I never thought about video mode, that too should confirm whether the LCD actually works.
07-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #11

Original Poster
Tried video mode. Seems to indeed be the button. My girlfriend just bought a k-30 too, so that also confirmed it, when I played with both.

Off to the shop it goes!
08-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #12

Original Poster
Finally able to tear myself away from the camera for long enough to take it in to get serviced. Now I just have to wait for a couple of weeks.

Luckily my girlfriend also has a K-30. Somehow though, it just feels better taking shots on your own camera.