Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
ist DS flash problem

When I use my flash I get two colored lines running through the picture when I open them in Photoshop (the pics were taken in Raw.)

The distance between the lines vary and the placement of the lines are random!

Called Pentax support and they had never heard of it and suggested sending it in for repair. If I could figure out how to download an example, I would.

I hate to have my camera in the shop during our vacation time as well as the possible/probable expense for the repair.

NEW INFO:

This afternoon, when I opened my flash pics in Photoshop Raw all of them, with one exception, show up with lines and then within seconds, the lines disappear even though they still show up in the original frames! Only one picture retains the line. I have used two different card readers with the same results. When I review the pictutres in my camera no lines appears, which has always been true.

I just took 3 new raw pics with my flash (in both AM and AF), placed the flash disk in the card reader opened them in Photoashop and all lines were in the the original frames and in each pic when I opened them. I then put the disk back into the camera, previewed them and ruturned them to the flash drive, and each frame showed the lines, but when I opened each picture, the lines disappeared within 3 seconds...... verrrry strange!

Last edited by cooneym; 07-05-2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: new information
07-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooneym Quote
When I use my flash I get two colored lines running through the picture when I open them in Photoshop (the pics were taken in Raw.)

The distance between the lines vary and the placement of the lines are random!

Called Pentax support and they had never heard of it and suggested sending it in for repair. If I could figure out how to download an example, I would.

I hate to have my camera in the shop during our vacation time as well as the possible/probable expense for the repair.

NEW INFO:

This afternoon, when I opened my flash pics in Photoshop Raw all of them, with one exception, show up with lines and then within seconds, the lines disappear even though they still show up in the original frames! Only one picture retains the line. I have used two different card readers with the same results. When I review the pictutres in my camera no lines appears, which has always been true.

I just took 3 new raw pics with my flash (in both AM and AF), placed the flash disk in the card reader opened them in Photoashop and all lines were in the the original frames and in each pic when I opened them. I then put the disk back into the camera, previewed them and ruturned them to the flash drive, and each frame showed the lines, but when I opened each picture, the lines disappeared within 3 seconds...... verrrry strange!
that's all pretty weird, you don't say if you transfer files to your computer then open them in photoshop or if you open the files directly from the card in your card reader ? I would try another memory card if you haven't already, the fault seems very inconsistent and the variable is that you're handling the memory card each time, or perhaps its the card reader with a poor connection to the card.
good luck!
just had another thought... If you've seen the lines in the camera display as well, then it shouldn't be the card reader, so I think the card may be faulty

Last edited by Cee Cee; 07-05-2013 at 05:42 PM.
07-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
that's all pretty weird, you don't say if you transfer files to your computer then open them in photoshop or if you open the files directly from the card in your card reader ? I would try another memory card if you haven't already, the fault seems very inconsistent and the variable is that you're handling the memory card each time, or perhaps its the card reader with a poor connection to the card.
good luck!
just had another thought... If you've seen the lines in the camera display as well, then it shouldn't be the card reader, so I think the card may be faulty
I think we must have ghosts in our house. I cannot get my camera flash to malfunction at all!!!! No new lines! Only one picture left with a line. All previous pictures with lines...they disappear in photoshop.

I used two cards and two card readers previously and the lines showed up in both. (Also, shooting in raw, I cannot open raw on my computer without Phostoshop.)

Very strange. But this camera has been strange since I got it!

Thanks for your response!
07-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
must be para normal activity then ... hey the only thing more I can add to this is that my istDS does some pretty strange things at times when the batteries get a bit low, even though the indicator says 1/2 power remaining, good luck with your poltergeist

07-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
must be para normal activity then ... hey the only thing more I can add to this is that my istDS does some pretty strange things at times when the batteries get a bit low, even though the indicator says 1/2 power remaining, good luck with your poltergeist
LOL!! Thanks!

Anyone know anybody who does exorcisms on cameras??

Also, thanks for the tip io the batteries1? Given my experience with this camera, that makes a lot of sense!
07-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Try to find out whether the faulty lines are in the jpg thumb only.
Some viewers initially show the jpg thumb embedded in both a raw and the full jpg file. And some will switch over to the real thing after doing some processing.

If this is the case, there is something wrong with the thumb function of the in-body jpg machine.

A factory reset may or may not help. If not, find out whether it is possible to completely overwrite the firmware by the same version already installed.