Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #1

Storing lenses for a year

Im moving abroad for a year and have to pack light. I have some cheaper legacy lenses that I can not take with me. How well do you think they will hold up without me if they are stored:

*In a pelican case with desiccants
*In a climate controlled storage unit (Temperature is regualted, but not sure about humidity)
*In a hot humid environment

What do you think:
*Would they be devoured by fungus after a year in storage? and I would be better off going through the hassle of selling them and repurchasing upon my return? (again they are fairly cheap ones)
*Or will they survive just find?

Thanks,

07-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seal them up with desiccants. Humidity is the problem. As long as you can keep them dry you should have no problem. I have any number of lenses that are 30 years old and have no issues.
07-06-2013, 03:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Seal them up with desiccants. Humidity is the problem. As long as you can keep them dry you should have no problem. I have any number of lenses that are 30 years old and have no issues.
I agree. Bag each one separately with desiccants then put them In the pelican case.
07-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twr Quote
*Would they be devoured by fungus after a year in storage? and I would be better off going through the hassle of selling them and repurchasing upon my return? (again they are fairly cheap ones)
Probably not. I have found really old lenses in a shoe box that were placed in a closet for 20 years and they came out just fine. Well, as fine as a lens from the 70s can still be in 2010. Each in its own bag might not even be needed. Keeping it dry is probably the most important, as already suggested. Keeping it dark, cool, and air-tight might be good ideas, though fungus doesn't really care about that. In fact, it prefers dark places with almost no air ventilation. Thats why its good to take lenses out and show them to the sun every once in a while, since fungus hates UV light. But if you keep it dry, away from condensation and humidity, away from too much sunlight (daily direct sunlight in the summer time can damage plastics) you should be fine

07-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used the vacuum bags available from the homeware stores.
After packing, the air is sucked out via a valve that connects to a domestic vacuum cleaner. ( I filled the bag with drier air from in front of air conditioner first)
The bag collapses around the lenses to form a compact, firm package.
07-06-2013, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only problems I've seen in long storage (many years) is fungus when left in hot and humid garages, or storing in a leather case. (These were lenses I was given from friends.) Lenses I've just put in drawers for decades are fine. I have lenses from 1936-39 that just needed a bit of new lube.
07-07-2013, 02:51 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twr Quote
Im moving abroad for a year and have to pack light. I have some cheaper legacy lenses that I can not take with me. How well do you think they will hold up without me if they are stored:

*In a pelican case with desiccants
*In a climate controlled storage unit (Temperature is regualted, but not sure about humidity)
*In a hot humid environment

What do you think:
*Or will they survive just find?

Thanks,
Hi,
If you do a forum search for dehumidifier you will find details of a dehumidifier that I made, or just do a search on my postings to find the details.
Regards.
07-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
I would put them in a sealed vacuum food preserver bag with the air sucked out.

07-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe_c Quote
I would put them in a sealed vacuum food preserver bag with the air sucked out.
I am not so sure that is a good idea. I would worry about how much vacuum you draw and the reaction of the grease, I.e. will it try to move as the pressures change in the lens. Maybe experiment on an old one first, to see if you move oil/grease onto the aperture blades
07-12-2013, 04:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter

You are moving away for a year? One year? Good heavens, they'll be fine. Heck, in a year's time the only thing you need to protect them against is someone knocking them off a shelf or something.

But if you are really worried about fungus for some reason, place each lens in a sealed, clear plastic bag with a silicone desiccant and leave in a fairly light, cool, dry place.