Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #1

K100D Image out of alignment

Hello All

I have a strange problem with my old K100D. I bought it (very cheaply) with the problem, so don't know about its history.

When I take a shot, the resulting image is out of alignment. That is, whatever I place in the centre ends up off centre. Usually about 10-20 percent across and a bit down. The degree of misalignment seems to vary, so while I can compensate for it when shooting, it is near impossible to get precise composition. The images look fine when framing and they are otherwise good (no problems with exposure, blurring, etc.).

Has anyone come across something like this before?

I found some other threads where people had problems aligning HDR images, but that seemed like a much smaller amount of misalignment. I have also seen people having a problem similar to mine, but on Sony DSLRs. In that case the problem seemed to be with the shake reduction system. This makes sense to me. I have debated sending it off for repair, but am mindful that it may not be worth the cost.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

07-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
1. Does it happen when SR is turned off?

2. Is the viewfinder matte loose? They are replaceable, so it's remotely possible that someone may have taken it out and installed it back in wrong or loose. Is the view through the viewfinder nice and clear or is it blurry? Might just add the warning here to never-ever-ever (!!!!) touch the viewfinder matte, because they are really soft and oil from your fingers destroys them.

I did have a K10d that had the viewfinder misaligned with the sensor by 2 degrees - had to be fixed by a technician, but wasn't over expensive.
07-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The effect of image stabilisation will be nowhere near as drastic. Just turn it off to convince yourself.

Have you checked the position of the focusing screen? You'll see it at the top of the mirror box when you don't have a lens mounted. It unclips pretty easily. However, be careful not to touch it, it very easily scratches. Also, you'll most likely introduce dust, when you release it and put it back again.

Nevertheless, it is worth a check. Most likely, however, somehow the penta-mirror got out of alignment and I don't think you'll be able to address that yourself.
07-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

@calsan: I didn't see your reply when I started to post. I had to leave the browser unattended for a while and in the meantime you posted. Sorry for the duplication, but maybe it doesn't hurt for the OP to hear the same thing from two sources.

07-08-2013, 01:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Ha Ha! That normally happens to me. It's good that you said exactly the same thing about never touching the focusing screen - my post did read a bit neurotic...
07-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks Calsan and Class A.

Yes, two lots of the same good advice is not a bad thing!

Yes, it does still happen with SR turned off.

I will take a very careful look at the matte, but note that the image through the viewfinder is nice, sharp and clear right across. I will report back!

Cheers

Matthew
07-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJWC1 Quote
When I take a shot, the resulting image is out of alignment. That is, whatever I place in the centre ends up off centre. Usually about 10-20 percent across and a bit down. The degree of misalignment seems to vary, so while I can compensate for it when shooting, it is near impossible to get precise composition. The images look fine when framing and they are otherwise good (no problems with exposure, blurring, etc.).
This sounds similar to a problem I had with a K200D that was converted for infrared usage. To make a very long story short, as I understand it, there is a magnetic mechanism involved with influencing the position of the sensor. In my case, the entire image was shifting vertically because the magnet wouldn't "let go", so to speak.

Some PF members suggested I was being fooled by the slight crop in the K200D's viewfinder (I think it crops to something like 95%), but I confirmed what should have been in the center of the frame was moving and definitely not a crop situation. You can see what was happening to me if you read my post on a related matter. (It's a long, long post about the crummy service I got from the guy who did the conversion.) My particular problem was due to the technician's mistake while fooling around with the camera's guts, but general handling could cause the same problem - Murphy's Law, you know!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, turning SR off did not solve my problem when I was trying to determine exactly what was going on. I didn't address that with the IR converter since there was so much wrong with the camera. I only mention it because even though the problem was related to the SR mechanism, the camera software had no influence on the function. In other words, the problem was physical and a menu setting wasn't going to help.

Last edited by LowVoltage; 07-08-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added point
07-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Next trick would be to place the camera on a level surface and shoot at a known horizontal line. Make sure everything is at right angles.
If the image comes out nice and straight, check the view through the finder. If the finder looks misaligned, there's your problem. You will need to get the pentaprism (or is it a mirror in that camera) realigned. Not something you can do yourself, I think.