Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

M37 to M42 adapter stuck on lens

A few months ago I bought some older Pentax gear. One of the lenses is an Asahi-Kogaku Tele-Takumar 135 f/3.5 and it has a native 37mm screw mount. It came with what I believe is an original Asahi 37mm to 42mm adapter already attached.

This adapter doesn't quite allow focus to infinity on my dslr and I've bought an adapter from eb*y that will allow infinity focus. But, my problem is that the original (Asahi) adapter won't budge from the lens.

I've tried to loosen it with a rubber glove and a rubber mat to give better grip. I've also tried heating it with a blow dryer before trying. I suspect it might be glued on.

I don't have any filter wrenches, but I wondered if one of those might work? I checked eb*y and B&H, but I didn't find any wrenches small enough to fit.

Also, there's a cleft cut into the adapter. I'm not sure what it's for, but I think the adapter came that way from the factory.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by .a.t.; 07-08-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
07-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Could it have something to do with what looks like a crack in the lens mount? Or is that the adapter that is cracked?

Last edited by boriscleto; 07-08-2013 at 06:26 PM.
07-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That crack is in the adapter. It looks weird, doesn't it? But, I'm pretty sure that's the way it was made.
The only other picture I could find of this adapter shows that cut. Here's a link to the site with that picture.

Last edited by .a.t.; 07-08-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: clarification
07-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by all thumbs Quote
Also, there's a cleft cut into the adapter. I
Cut? It looks like the adapter is split from stress. You might want to contact the site that that posted the photo you linked to. They might be able to provide more information. Alternatively, there are users on this site that (I think) have this adapter. With any luck, they might chime in.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-08-2013 at 08:13 PM.
07-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter

That crack is in the adapter. It looks weird, doesn't it? But, I'm pretty sure that's the way it was made.
The only other picture I could find of this adapter shows that cut. Here's a link to the site with that picture.
The cut in that adapter is on the top of the adapter. In your picture we are looking at the bottom of the adapter.
07-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cut? It looks like the adapter is split from stress. You might want to contact Pacific Rim. They are knowledgeable and very responsive to inquiries.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. Are you referring to Pacific Rim Camera?
And not Pacific Ridge Photography which I linked to in my first post [edit: it was in my second post]?

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The cut in that adapter is on the top of the adapter. In your picture we are looking at the bottom of the adapter.

Yeah, you guys may be right. Either way, I'd like to get it off with as little violence as possible.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by .a.t.; 07-08-2013 at 09:13 PM.
07-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Thanks, Steve. Are you referring to Pacific Rim Camera?
And not Pacific Ridge Photography which I linked to in my first post?
Yes, my mistake. I edited my post.

Steve
07-08-2013, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

And not Pacific Ridge Photography which I linked to in my first post?
You know...I think there is a good chance that the owner of Pacific Ridge is a forum member. I could swear that I have seen it as part of someone's sig.

Edit: Found it! User SteveM

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/14882-stevem/

Steve

07-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You know...I think there is a good chance that the owner of Pacific Ridge is a forum member. I could swear that I have seen it as part of someone's sig.

Edit: Found it! User SteveM

SteveM - View Profile - PentaxForums.com

Steve

Wow - small world! I guess it makes sense he would be a member here.
I already sent a message through his website, but if I don't hear back, I'll PM him.
Thanks, Steve!
07-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes! It finally came off.

First, about the gap in the mount: SteveM answered my email and confirmed that the Asahi adapter has a cut through it. I don't know why it's made that way, but that gap is what allowed me to get the adapter off the lens.

SteveM suggested I might try putting a knife blade into the gap in the mount to see if I could loosen things up. The adapter still wouldn't turn, but I realized I could use the knife to pry the adapter up and off. I was able to lift it away from the lens threads with no damage.
It sounds brutal , but it actually came off pretty easily. And the adapter still works fine.

Oh, and the adapter was stuck because it had been glued to the lens.

And as Stevebrot mentioned, SteveM is knowledgeable, responsive and friendly. If you haven't been to his website, he has a beautiful collection of Pentax cameras there - as well as other lovely photos. Have a look:
Pacific Ridge Photography -- Steve McIntosh : Photography : Gear
07-09-2013, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm glad it worked out