Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2013, 02:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

SMC-M 75-150 Bayonet Damage

Hi Folks,

I've just received my latest ebay lens, in nice condition except for one small thing: the bayonet was stuck when I first looked at it - I was going to return it immediately as it couldn't be moved. I decided to try it on my K100DS & it went on fine but on removal I noticed a part of the plastic shield/screen just in front of the bayonet had broken off. Examining this the broken edge has a shiny appearance as though it had been glued? Curiously the bayonet now seems positioned correctly & the lens seems to be operating ok.

The shield does now have a jagged feel to it, so it would probably need a little work with the dremel?

I do have the bit that broke off, not a good idea to try & superglue it, right?

No big deal, right?

Thanks for any input!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
07-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only purpose of the shield is to protect the stop down lever from damage. If you are careful when mounting/dismounting and never place the lens on it's rear end you don't really need the shield. Keeping the rear lens cap on when not using the lens will protect the lever.

From the image it looks as if the shield is misalligned at one end and could obstruct the stop down mechanism inside the body. If it is misalligned perhaps it would be wise to remove it altogether.
07-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The only purpose of the shield is to protect the stop down lever from damage. If you are careful when mounting/dismounting and never place the lens on it's rear end you don't really need the shield. Keeping the rear lens cap on when not using the lens will protect the lever.

From the image it looks as if the shield is misalligned at one end and could obstruct the stop down mechanism inside the body. If it is misalligned perhaps it would be wise to remove it altogether.
Thanks for that, useful info!

I think I'll just clean up the edge of the broken shield with a dremel (the bayonet & shield do appear aligned correctly now).

Panic over, the optics are good & it functions nicely.

The SMC-M 75-150 f4 seems a little off the radar currently, undervalued imho too
07-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is what it looks like on mine. My shield is metal. A great lens BTW.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
This is what it looks like on mine. My shield is metal. A great lens BTW.
Thanks for that - impressive photos too, what did you use?

A lot of people talk about the 135mm but the 75 - 150 can do some much more without a great deal of compromise. This is my second

Perhaps I'll do a comparison, I really feel some zoom lenses are neglected due to antiquated misconceptions - my word, I'm pleased with that

Best wishes!
07-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
Thanks for that - impressive photos too, what did you use?

A lot of people talk about the 135mm but the 75 - 150 can do some much more without a great deal of compromise. This is my second

Perhaps I'll do a comparison, I really feel some zoom lenses are neglected due to antiquated misconceptions - my word, I'm pleased with that

Best wishes!
Just quick crops from DA35 Macro which I had on and was using for shots of some boring work stuff. Focusing on of black bits painted black was a whole new challenge.

I seem to have seven lenses that will do 135mm - 135mm f5.6 Test - a set on Flickr