Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you see is not what you get!!!!

Dumb question .......when I am taking photos ,the photo on back of camera looks A1 ...when i down load into LR4 it comes out dark , then i have to work on it ,often its to dark and you have to dump it...(shooting in raw) ....why does it not look the same as on the viewer of the camera?
how do i fix?
What am i doing wrong?.............
I use the K7 and K5ii

07-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You could try adjusting the brightness of the screen to be a closer approximation of what your shots look like. Keep in mind also that it will look different in very dark or very bright ambient lighting conditions. Also, is the screen on your computer calibrated correctly? It might be that your photos are actually exposed ok, and your computer monitor is too dark.

I always take the camera screen image as a ballpark approximation of the photo, but not an accurate representation of the finished product.
07-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Do you have highlight correction turned on in your camera? If so, your raw images will be 2 stops under exposed than the embedded jpeg.
07-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Highlight correction - that does some interesting things. I've been fooled by the LCD numerous times. Fortunataly underexposure is easily handled in RAW. Often the images look sharper on the LCD, probably because I rarely zoom all the way in.

07-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
look at the histogram!
07-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shaneA Quote
Dumb question .......when I am taking photos ,the photo on back of camera looks A1 ...when i down load into LR4 it comes out dark , then i have to work on it ,often its to dark and you have to dump it...(shooting in raw) ....why does it not look the same as on the viewer of the camera?
how do i fix?
I use the K7 and K5ii
Start with the histogram, where is it on the back of the camera. If the camera LCD is mis adjusted you could be making exposures based upon the LCD not the real image.

Also as others have suggested check the monitor at home.

Then check (assuming shooting RAW that Lightroom has the option set to use the JPEG settings for import. Tat will get you a thumbnail and first approximation to settings the same as the camera
07-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Start with the histogram, where is it on the back of the camera. If the camera LCD is mis adjusted you could be making exposures based upon the LCD not the real image.

Also as others have suggested check the monitor at home.

Then check (assuming shooting RAW that Lightroom has the option set to use the JPEG settings for import. Tat will get you a thumbnail and first approximation to settings the same as the camera
Thank you , I will go and check.....

07-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

...when i down load into LR4 it comes out dark , ...
It is normal for a RAW file to look flat unless you start processing it.

Lightroom already applies some automatic brightness and contrast boost in its default setting but even with these, images will not look like JPGs out of camera, say using the "bright" setting for JPG.

You can define your own "image style" and tell Lightroom to apply it to each imported image automatically by changing the default development settings. I personally don't do that as I'd like to start from a clean slate each time.

For Canikon cameras, Adobe provides emulations of JPG image styles such as "landscape", "portrait", etc., but for Pentax you can only select either "Adobe Standard" or "embedded", the latter giving you the tone curve and colour matrix as defined by Pentax.

Lightroom has no such option.

Are you talking about importing both JPG and RAW versions of the same image (if you shot both formats)?

Upon import Lightroom will always briefly show the JPG preview that is embedded in the RAW file (which will look vibrant in comparison) until it replaces it with a preview of its own rendering.
07-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It is normal for a RAW file to look flat unless you start processing it.

Lightroom has no such option.

Are you talking about importing both JPG and RAW versions of the same image (if you shot both formats)?

Upon import Lightroom will always briefly show the JPG preview that is embedded in the RAW file (which will look vibrant in comparison) until it replaces it with a preview of its own rendering.
We using raw with either pentax's photo lab, or Corel PSP X5 you have an option to use the camera settings upon import. The raw file carries the JPEG settings even if you don't shoot JPEG so therefore it is always important to try and fine tune the settings since it opens the file close to what you may want to start with. It Lightroom does not have that setting / option it is a major deficiency

I would check this because I am sure others have said it also exists in Lightroom
07-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dumb question .......
[deleted]
Do some research on the limitations of useful visual information conveyed by the image on the camera' LCD. Essentially you are viewing a jpeg rendered from the RAW image data plus any in-camera settings you have set. LR ignores all. There is no need to dump a RAW image because it looks different, indeed, you will have a lot more post-processing flexibility with that RAW dataset.

The LCD has some value of course. The histogram provides semi-decent guidance for exposure, but realize that it too is based on a jpeg. In LR you will get at least a couple more stops to play with. I prefer the LCD for checking on the framing of a shot; it is also very useful determining flash effectiveness. And enlarging the LCD image should help provide focusing feedback.

The key is for you to understand and utilize how to post process RAW images in Lightroom to meet your personal requirements.

M
07-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I would check this because I am sure others have said it also exists in Lightroom
No, you canīt. Iīve checked this too. The profiles are just not there for the Pentax K-5 at least.
07-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It Lightroom does not have that setting / option it is a major deficiency.
I disagree.

In-camera JPG develop parameters are very crude and there is little point in trying to keep these up to date in camera in order to have a starting point for RAW development. It is far easier and better to use respective development presets in Lightroom that you can apply during import or later.

So why don't you check it?

Rest assured, Lightroom does not have this option. It would be very hard to maintain as well with so many manufacturers all having a different approach to representing image data that isn't standard EXIF data. Also, how would you like Lightroom to interpret a particular sharpening configuration? At best it could try a crude approximation of what the real effect of the in-camera JPG development would do. There is no way Adobe can faithfully replicate the hundreds and thousands of different JPG engines existing.
07-10-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

In-camera JPG develop parameters are very crude and there is little point in trying to keep these up to date in camera in order to have a starting point for RAW development. It is far easier and better to use respective development presets in Lightroom that you can apply during import or later.
True. I confess that I sometimes miss the cameras settings but although LR settings look more flat, it holds detail much better and allows better criteria when reviewing recently imported images. I should look into presets, I know, just havenīt yet..
07-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feed back~~~~ But I am still at square one!! looking for 1+1=2 solution.....Thanks
07-10-2013, 10:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I disagree.

In-camera JPG develop parameters are very crude and there is little point in trying to keep these up to date in camera in order to have a starting point for RAW development. It is far easier and better to use respective development presets in Lightroom that you can apply during import .
This is the whole point, getting to a starting point for post. That is why the two editors I mentioned have those settings carried over. Share you can use presets, but the issue with presets applied in post is that they do not carry individual adjustments you might have considered at the time of shooting therefore if you are applying presets, on average you are going to be further away from the final settings, than if you were adjusting the JPEG settings at the time of shoot.

It is just a different approach, that's all. I personally don't want to spend that much time in front of the computer, that's all