Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A post here a couple of years ago had some great reason why I should want the Tv Shift. I set my camera that way and now have no idea why. I probably don't work that way.

07-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
<after seven years> There's a green button on my camera? Cool.....
I guess with a generous blob of nail varnish it could be any colour you want.
07-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Film Guy Quote
I'm a blatant newbie, and I'm not sure where this should be posted. Please direct me!
you are in the right place, trust me
QuoteQuote:
It's a beautiful day, and the flowers are in great form! Staring at a computer screen - not where I prefer to be...
also correct
QuoteQuote:

I see tons of things posted about The GREEN Button! I just don't know what to do with it. My situation: K-30, with which (until now) I've begun to enjoy photography again. (Post-Film) I'm trying to use it with a SMC Pentax-M Macro 1:4 50mm lens. I have enabled the aperture ring. Now, according to the video (and written instructions) I need to program my infamous "Green Button." Question: Does it have another technical name? On p. 2 of the manual it's simply called #2 (Green) Button. In RECORD Mode, display #4, there is an option: Button Customization. Three names display: RAW/Fx; AF/AE-L; then AF/AE-L again. One apparently enables AF, the other enables AE.
ok, you are skipping steps, if you are using a K or M series lens, switch to manual mode, otherwise the camera will only shoot wide open
QuoteQuote:
No "green button" displays as clearly as it does in the video. I also could not find it anywhere in the Customization menus. I accessed a web site with K-30 specs and menu displays. No green button there, either. I've not even considered the green button before today. However, I've not used this wonderful old macro lens, either.

Given all the posts about the Green Button, I thought I'd find something. If it's there, I must have missed it and I apologize. I did find that it's rather important when shooting with old (but superb!) manual lenses, as I want to do.

I would prefer to avoid hanging myself with my camera strap (I'd be using an old Nikon strap, not Pentax), but the frustration level is very high...as the day is fading. Any and all help, guidance, assistance - I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
The idea of the green button, and as long as it is programmed to set exposure and not any other fucntion, is the following

IN MANUAL mode, the greeni button momentarily stops the lens down to the aperture set on the aperture ring, meters, and then sets the shutter speed to espouse to the determined metering / light conditions. You only need to press itnagain if you move the aperture ring, or if the lighting changes.

It's that simple. Go out and shoot
07-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I guess with a generous blob of nail varnish it could be any colour you want.
The kerrowdown is a bottomless well of fun DIY project....all somehow involving accessories for the fairer sex.....

07-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
<after seven years> There's a green button on my camera? Cool.....
Oh crap...I would never have admitted that...lol...

So it is there after all, I just looked and THoog is right. I searched everywhere but there...
07-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Another plug for putting a pdf copy on your PC and/or mobile device. I just did an advanced search using Acrobat Reader of the English K-30 manual for "green button". I got two hits:
  • page 18 "Press to reset the values being adjusted."
  • page 162 "Setting the E-dials Operation For each exposure mode, you can select the parameters for when the front and rear e-dials and [green] button are operated."

In short, the answer was in front of me within a few seconds without having to flip through the whole manual. Of course if you are the type who really truly hates reading on screen.... on page 281 of the INDEX, under 'G' you will find "Green Button" with guess what? references to pages 18 and 162.
07-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #22
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
The kerrowdown is a bottomless well of fun DIY project....all somehow involving accessories for the fairer sex.....
I'm just a smooth talker is all, much like your good self.
07-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I found it! It's buried under "E-dial programming" (one item above "Button Customization") . You have to go to a second page to find M mode, and then you can set the green button to "Tv Shift" if you want. (My TV is too heavy to shift, but that's another problem ). The default "P Line" seems to work.

I guess they did this to make the Green Button programming options depend on what mode the camera is in.
That's exactly it. This should solve all of the issues referenced in this thread.

07-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #24

Original Poster
The button compass...free at last!

Oh MY...Nail polish and green buttons...this just gets better and better. I do appreciate the help. I found the "E-dial programming" referenced but did not get to the 2nd page.

Thanks to all of you. With all the menus...some days with digital are better than others. This day just got better. Thanks again!
07-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Film Guy Quote
Oh MY...Nail polish and green buttons...this just gets better and better.
You just wait and see the great dance finale, Old Film Guy
07-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #26
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
You just wait and see the great dance finale
At this dance, who's leading me or you.