Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #1

Blur with Action (k200)

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, and new to my k200, so if my question has a ridiculously obvious answer, I apologize in advance
I'm trying to take shots of exploding water balloons in a relatively brightly lit area, and try as I might, the photos have all come out blurry - the water's splash goes all smooth which is not what I wanted at all. I have fiddled with various shutter speeds and apertures in manual mode, but I have no idea what I was doing so it didn't exactly help.
So my question is: What am I doing wrong? and, Can anybody give me a shutter speed and aperture level that would work?

Thank you

07-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll want a fast shutter speed for that (>=1/250s I'd say)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome!

As Adam says definitely fast shutter speed stuff. Often a fairly power flash will help too. Post some photos and I'm sure you will get some fairly specific feedback on how you can improve.

Jonathan
07-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys - I'll test it out and get back to you with the results!! *fingers crossed*

07-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Google's your friend on this one:

Google
07-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

This is usually something that works best by using a tripod, figuring out where the balloons will be when they explode, focusing there and turning the camera to MF so it stays focused on that spot.

The burst of light from a flash is usually faster than 1/1000 sec. at full power, faster than that at lower power levels. If the flash was providing all the light, it would act as a superfast shutter speed, even if your shutter was set to 1 second. But in your case, the relatively bright light can overpower the flash, adding too much light to the exposure. If you have a lot of test balloons, you could put the camera in Tv mode and set the fastest shutter speed the camera will allow. The camera will try to close the lens as much as possible, a very high f number. With the DA 18-55, that can go up to f38 or something. You can explode some balloons and see where the ideal combination of shutter speed and aperture is.