Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-7 image quality

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I bought K-7, and today I have some "test shooting". Frankly, I'm disappointed with image quality, but I suppose that problem is in some kind of "errors" with settings that I put on K-7. Here is one of the pictures with EXIF data, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Also, on my Sony NEX 5N DPI is 240, on Pentax K-7 is 72. Is there any way to raise DPI on Pentax?

At the end, is it possible shoot picture like this with K-7? I know how to do it with Sony NEX, but with my new Pentax...

Thanks in advance

07-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SkipperRi Quote
Here is one of the pictures with EXIF data, can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
You used spot metering mode on that one. Which is fine if you know it and meter accordingly. But quite easy to get the metering wrong if you expected to be using a different metering mode. Spot only reads the exposure from a very small area.

Also, on my Sony NEX 5N DPI is 240, on Pentax K-7 is 72. Is there any way to raise DPI on Pentax?
DPI is irrelevant. It only means something when you output to a printer and you set that in the print driver at print time. Cameras often put a default number in that field in the EXIF but it means nothing.

At the end, is it possible shoot picture like this with K-7? I know how to do it with Sony NEX, but with my new Pentax...
Of course, why not? That looks like maybe 2 or 3 second exposure so on a tripod. Might also have an ND grad filter in use. I guess it could also be an HDR image but either way that is no a problem with the k-7.
07-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You used spot metering mode on that one. Which is fine if you know it and meter accordingly. But quite easy to get the metering wrong if you expected to be using a different metering mode. Spot only reads the exposure from a very small area.
Dear jatrax, thank you so much for the quick replay. So, where can I change settings for metering mode, and what's the best for this kind of picture?
According to you, is that all? It seems to me that picture is too dark, and there is too much noise...
07-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I am tempted to reply RTFM but please look at the top left dial on the camera. There is a little switch that has a spot a centra portion and a green matrix. This is the metering mode switch

07-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am tempted to reply RTFM but please look at the top left dial on the camera. There is a little switch that has a spot a centra portion and a green matrix. This is the metering mode switch
You are right, but now I'm outside of my home, replying from smartphone, and there no Pentax with me. Any suggestions for metering mode?
Thanks for the answer.
07-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have k-5, not k-7 so it might be different but on top left is a dial slider switch with metering modes, it is on same dial as the camera modes just below it. Spot, center weighted and array. Spot means the meter reads only a tiny piece of the image in the center. This is intended for pictures where maybe the subject is back lit and you need to meter only on their face or some other situation where you need precise area metering. Center weighted reads from a fairly large area around the center of the image and then averages it. Array (I think that's what it is called) reads a much larger area, most of the frame I think. I always use center weighted unless I have a good reason to use spot, don't think I've ever used array.

Your ISO is at 250 which is why you are seeing noise. The k-5 is much better than the k-7 in this regard but I still dislike going over 200 and usually stay at 100 ISO to avoid noise. However, this depends on the shot, if you need a higher ISO to make the shot work then you use it. Noise can be cleaned up in post processing with any number of software tools.

Also you should use the exposure compensation button to adjust your camera to the image and lens used. On my k-5 I use +1/3 stop all the time and sometimes +2/3 to meter correctly, but that depends on the lens used and the scene I am shooting.

It seems to me that picture is too dark,
The reason the picture is too dark is that you spot metered and most likely on the white shirt. The meter reads that and tries to make it gray, thus making the whole image too dark. On a white scene increase the exposure compensation. I would have used center weighted for that image or if using spot made sure it was metered on the faces not the shirt.
07-10-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It`s the little lever beneath the mode-dail, the big knob for selecting your program. Your exif doesn`t show in what mode you shot?
Maybe it`s best to work your way through the manual first and get a little familiar with the K-7`s layout and functions. Not trying to be a dick here but it`s usually the best and fastest way to learn a complicated new toy

-Edit-
2 guys allready beat me to it
07-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have k-5, not k-7 so it might be different but on top left is a dial slider switch with metering modes, it is on same dial as the camera modes just below it. Spot, center weighted and array. Spot means the meter reads only a tiny piece of the image in the center. This is intended for pictures where maybe the subject is back lit and you need to meter only on their face or some other situation where you need precise area metering. Center weighted reads from a fairly large area around the center of the image and then averages it. Array (I think that's what it is called) reads a much larger area, most of the frame I think. I always use center weighted unless I have a good reason to use spot, don't think I've ever used array.

Your ISO is at 250 which is why you are seeing noise. The k-5 is much better than the k-7 in this regard but I still dislike going over 200 and usually stay at 100 ISO to avoid noise. However, this depends on the shot, if you need a higher ISO to make the shot work then you use it. Noise can be cleaned up in post processing with any number of software tools.

Also you should use the exposure compensation button to adjust your camera to the image and lens used. On my k-5 I use +1/3 stop all the time and sometimes +2/3 to meter correctly, but that depends on the lens used and the scene I am shooting.

The reason the picture is too dark is that you spot metered and most likely on the white shirt. The meter reads that and tries to make it gray, thus making the whole image too dark. On a white scene increase the exposure compensation. I would have used center weighted for that image or if using spot made sure it was metered on the faces not the shirt.
Thank you for detailed answer! I'll try everything that you suggested me.

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
It`s the little lever beneath the mode-dail, the big knob for selecting your program. Your exif doesn`t show in what mode you shot?
Maybe it`s best to work your way through the manual first and get a little familiar with the K-7`s layout and functions. Not trying to be a dick here but it`s usually the best and fastest way to learn a complicated new toy

-Edit-
2 guys allready beat me to it
You're honest and right, not dick.
The problem is that I'm impatient, and have no time for RTFM. But, that's definitely the best solution.

07-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The biggest difference between the pictures you linked, IMHO, is that the NEX shot was carefully planned and taken. The K-7 image seems to be "just" a quick family snap.
07-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like jatrax, I always use center-weighted metering, and highly recommend that as your default setting until you are ready to try something different.
07-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As a proud owner of a K-7, I have to agree with most of what has been written here.

Spot metering in particular is not ideal for beginners, the pattern or centre weighted options are better. But over riding all that is the histogram on the rear screen. It will tell you all you need to know about exposure. If it is all bunched up to the left you are too dark, if it is all bunched up to the right you are too light. Get into a habit of checking it and reshoot if necessary. You can access it via the info button. I won't go into step by step instructions on how to do that they are, as they say, "in the manual"

If shooting in JPEG set the camera to the highest quality and picture size. Again instructions for this are in the manual.

The K-7 is not a bad camera. Do a search on this forum for photos taken with this camera and see what this machine is capable of.

Practice
Practice
Practice
07-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As always, I recommend reading the book "understanding exposure" by Bryan Peterson. (probably along with the manual). This will teach you creative control over aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. Knowledge is power.
07-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #13
Pentaxian

You are right, but now I'm outside of my home, replying from smartphone, and there no Pentax with me. Any suggestions for metering mode?
Thanks for the answer.
Not to be a smart &$$ but I have all my camera manuals on my ipod.

I think on suggestions for metering modes, start with matrix metering. It is pretty good for overall scene capture. Also set your preview and image view settings to include the histogram so you can get a feel for overall exposure
07-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
The biggest difference between the pictures you linked, IMHO, is that the NEX shot was carefully planned and taken. The K-7 image seems to be "just" a quick family snap.
I think that's not the main problem. Picture quality is too low, but I admitting that I must learn how to deal with this, I believe, amazing camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Like jatrax, I always use center-weighted metering, and highly recommend that as your default setting until you are ready to try something different.
Ok, I'll do that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
As a proud owner of a K-7, I have to agree with most of what has been written here.

Spot metering in particular is not ideal for beginners, the pattern or centre weighted options are better. But over riding all that is the histogram on the rear screen. It will tell you all you need to know about exposure. If it is all bunched up to the left you are too dark, if it is all bunched up to the right you are too light. Get into a habit of checking it and reshoot if necessary. You can access it via the info button. I won't go into step by step instructions on how to do that they are, as they say, "in the manual"

If shooting in JPEG set the camera to the highest quality and picture size. Again instructions for this are in the manual.

The K-7 is not a bad camera. Do a search on this forum for photos taken with this camera and see what this machine is capable of.

Practice
Practice
Practice
You are absolutetly right. Practice is only way...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
As always, I recommend reading the book "understanding exposure" by Bryan Peterson. (probably along with the manual). This will teach you creative control over aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. Knowledge is power.
It is.
Thank you guys for the answers.
07-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Not to be a smart &$$ but I have all my camera manuals on my ipod.

I think on suggestions for metering modes, start with matrix metering. It is pretty good for overall scene capture. Also set your preview and image view settings to include the histogram so you can get a feel for overall exposure
This is great idea, really, I don't have iPod, but I'll definitely put manual on my Android. Matrix metering? Ok.
I have another question. When I took the shot, picture is displayed od LCD after 3-4 seconds. Where can I change that? Because, in manual says that picture will be shown after 1 sec.

Thanks and regards!