Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Lens CLA question

What kind of services are included in standard lens CLA? If I send a lens for CLA will the internal dust be removed as well?
Any comments please?

07-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens CLA

(C)lean, (L)ubricated, (A)djusted.

Not done too often Unless there is something actually wrong with the
lens, leave it alone. I have heard that older mechanical bodies need CLA
every year or so, depending on use and conditions, although most have gone
years between servicing. A CLA may also be necessary after a long period
of camera inactivity. Cost about $100 of more.
07-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
CLA isnŽt common on lenses. Generally, when you need a lens to be CLAŽd youŽll have to send in your camera as well
07-11-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Actually CLA on lenses is quite common, but only on quite old manual lenses. Old lenses often get interal haze - probably from oil separating from the grease that condenses on the glass. Often you don't see it until shining a bright flashlight through the lens, but it produces a decrease in contrast. I have a number of lenses from the '30s - '50s that improved images greatly after CLA. Eric has also done a few Takumars for me with haze & fungus. Old manual focus lenses also get hard to focus as the grease dries out, and a CLA fixes that.
I doubt if it would be needed or cost effective on newer plastic autofocus lenses. Modern cameras and lenses are throw-away designs.

07-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

It is for an old Pentax-M 85 recently acquired by me. I see a lot of dust particles inside (using a flash light), also it has got very minor extra play on the focus ring. Otherwise it is a lovely lens!
I might just shoot an email to Eric and see what he thinks. Since it is an older manual lens, I may not have to send in the camera I guess.
07-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
I might just shoot an email to Eric and see what he thinks. Since it is an older manual lens, I may not have to send in the camera I guess.
That's a good plan. On older SLR lenses the auto diaphragm can also get a bit sluggish, and Eric can indeed clean the elements and restore it to great operation. He won't need a body with it. I use my M 85 a lot - lovely lens and worth the effort to keep it as new.