Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #1

New and with a K200...

Hello
Looking foreward to get to know this site and to learn from the experienced folks in here..

I'm not quite a beginner in photografy, but allmost, and have just bought my self a used K200 with a standard 18-55 lense in mint condition. Below 3000 takes and looking like a brand new camera. It feels just right in my hands and I like the looks, the heft and the sound of it... The pictures I'm going to take know, beginning this evening... (It's a lovely, sunny evening here where I live i Jutland, Denmark.)

I already have a few questions. I hope someone will take their time and give me a helping hand...:
I would like to shoot in RAW from the start. I have an Imac and would like a program for that. What can you recommend? When I have worked the pictures I would like to store in Iphoto, where I keep my fotos. Any problems with what wish?The Camera is whether sealed, but what about the standard kit-lense? Do I have to purchase a lense with a "WR" to be able to take the camera out for a rainy day?

(Sorry about the bad spelling...)

Regards to you fra Denmark
Kim Nielsen

07-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hr.Nielsen Quote
The Camera is whether sealed, but what about the standard kit-lense? Do I have to purchase a lense with a "WR" to be able to take the camera out for a rainy day?
Right, you will need a WR lens, otherwise water can still (easily) get it if it's pouring. I'd say upgrade to the 18-55mm WR.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K200D was released one camera generation before the weather resistant version of the DA 18-55 lens. The DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 WR is optically the same as the lens you have now, with weather seals and a different cosmetic design. Pentax has a companion zoom to that, the DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 WR. Or you could get the DA 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 WR. It's more expensive but you can avoid changing lenses in bad weather.

There is the DA 100mm f2.8 WR Macro lens for close-up shooting.

Pentax has a series of lenses marked with a star that are also weather sealed, such as the DA* 16-50mm f2.8. These are fairly expensive.
07-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
welcome. IF you can find a used DA16-50 for arround 600USD, go for it! (KEH has some I think)

07-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply's. Very helpfull. I will look for a WR lens or two...