Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #1

Problem Formating SD card

I can't get either of my cameras to format an SD card so it will work in the cameras.
What is the format that Pentax uses?

I have an older MX-4 Pic/Vid and a K110 D DSLR.

Thanks Richard

07-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What kind of card? Formatting in PC or camera? It the lock tab unlocked? What error message do you get?

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-13-2013 at 07:24 PM.
07-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by X-Raycer Quote
I can't get either of my cameras to format an SD card so it will work in the cameras.
What is the format that Pentax uses?

I have an older MX-4 Pic/Vid and a K110 D DSLR.

Thanks Richard
If you have an SDHC card, your K110D will need a firmware update to be able to use it:

Software Downloads : Support & Service | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

Once you've updated, format the card in-camera and you should be all set. If you need help with the firmware update, search my recent posts (from today) and you'll see some step-by-step instructions.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/231346-pentax-ist-dl.html
and let us know if that works.

07-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys. That update worked for the K-110 D.

Can't seem to find anything for the Optio MX. I know it was superseded by the MX-4. I believe I bought it in '04 or '05.
07-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by X-Raycer Quote
Thanks guys. That update worked for the K-110 D.

Can't seem to find anything for the Optio MX. I know it was superseded by the MX-4. I believe I bought it in '04 or '05.
Maybe just try to find an old SD card on ebay for the MX?
07-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the OP meant he/she could not find a firmware update for the Optio MX. Which is par for a point&shoot.

2GB SD (standard capacity) cards are readily available. Some older cameras will not address more than 1 GB or so of the available memory, but they should still be able to format a standard SD card regardless.
07-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #8

I assumed that the issue was that the OP used an SDHC card and as he couldn't find a new FW for the MX, the alternative would be to use an old SD cards instead for the MX.

07-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right, cheers.

Also, since he was able to update the firmware in the K110D to use SDHC cards, that means he must have the original SD card. He can re-purpose that for the MX.
07-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Out of curiosity, I looked at the MX user manual. The manual has a table of SD card capacity, and the calculations they show are are based on an SD card size of just 64MB(!), which almost seems laughable.

I have an old Casio 4 MP camera of similar vintage, from about 2005 or so, for which I bought a 256MB card, and I thought that would be all I would ever need. Fast forward to about 2011 when I decided to upgrade, and ran into the same problem as you. The camera wouldn't accept the newer SDHC cards. So I wound up buying have a 2 GB SD card, even though the camera can only "see" 1GB of memory. 2 GB was the smallest SD card I could buy.
07-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
I'm currently using a 2GB Micro-SD card in the Optio. How much it recognizes, I have no idea, because there is no "available space" information that I can locate in the "in camera" menu.
Apparently, it does not recognize or format SDHC cards.
I have the Manual somewhere. I come across it now and again, as I'm looking for something else. I'm not very organized.

In my searches I found a chart that indicated video recording times for the Optio with various SD card sizes at a given resolution.
It included recording times for larger capacity cards, but I believe that chart is flawed / misleading.

Thanks for helping me.
Richard
07-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know, you can download your manual from the Pentax website -- here's the US version:
Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA

And here's the MX:
Downloads & Literature - PENTAX Imaging USA

Even if you have the paper manual, sometimes it is handy to have a PDF version on your mobile, or tablet, particularly for the more complicated cameras/DSLRs. (Not my original idea -- this topic comes up from time to time on the forum, and I downloaded a bunch of manuals myself in the last week.)