Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

[Help] Pentax K-5 II Overheat Problem

Hello PentaxForums,

I recently purchase a "Pentax K-5 II" (1 week ago) and im a bit disappointed.

Im getting a short-of "Black-Screen" with red letters/numbers blinking.

And also I did get an "Overheat" warning 3 times and my camera did shutdown itself once today.

More details/To see my problem watch this little video I made :

Link :

Im gonna be the photographer for a wedding in beginning of August, I really need my photocamera being fixed.

If I can do something, if you can help me, please do it. It's gonna be awesome and grateful from you.

Thank you everyone !

Friendly, Husky/Mathieu

07-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you shooting video? And if so how long were you shooting before you got the over heat warning?
07-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

When I first got my camera (K-5) I got a overheat warning once. It was because I used the live display for a very long time. Never had another problem since.

I would ask, how long did you keep the live view on and engaged at one time?
07-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
@Jatrax :

Nope I didn't im using my "Panasonic HC-X920" in order to record movie.

I was outside during an hot sunny day.

But the overheating isn't my main problem yet... Im getting a black screen with red blinking character after taking somes photos (Like 10)

Is there anything I can do to fix that ?

Thanks for your quick reply Jatrax !

07-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The LV button means Live View, not level.
It looks like your sensor is overheating as it is showing the temp warning on the left.
Are you able to take a picture in non Live View mode using the viewfinder?
Since you have a video light on the camera were you shooting video prior to this?
If the ambient temperature is high and you have the camera in video or live view mode it may just be getting too hot.
07-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Husky Quote
But the overheating isn't my main problem yet... Im getting a black screen with red blinking character after taking somes photos (Like 10)
Have you updated to the latest firmware? My K5iis crashed a few times when doing in-camera HDR on the original firmware. This hasn't happened with the current firmware - of course you can only use the correct firmware for your model! To reset the camera if it crashes you may need to remove the battery.
07-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
<< Are you able to take a picture in non Live View mode using the viewfinder? >>

Humm, I don't really understand what you mean by there ? What's viewfinder ? Im sorry for being newbs =/

<< Since you have a video light on the camera were you shooting video prior to this? >>

No, I added this light in order to see something on my screen because the iso was getting too high. I didn't made any video with K-II

<< If the ambient temperature is high and you have the camera in video or live view mode it may just be getting too hot. >>

Is there a way to "Disable" Live View ?

<< Have you updated to the latest firmware? >>

Nope... I didn't nothing so far yet, like I said I recently purchase my K-II but if there's Frimware Update, is it complicated to install ? And where im I getting it ?

Thank you all for your patience and your help, it's really nice.

Im sorry giving you an hard time

Friendly, Mathieu

07-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

A couple of things:

- you have the AF select switch set to 'Focus point' select (the middle position). Just saying.
- the flashing lettering is simply alerting you to your settings, and letting you know they aren't optimal.

And what happens if you turn off the rear LCD and shoot using the optical viewfinder? To disable LiveView, just press the LV button and the rear screen will go blank.

Also why do I get the feeling you are trolling us?
07-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, not to sound condescending but maybe we need to step back and start at the beginning. I take it this is your first DSLR? So maybe some definitions are in order.

Viewfinder = the hole at the top that you look through to see what you are going to take a picture of. This is the traditional and still preferred method
Live view = using the LCD screen on the back to see what you are going to take a picture of. Live view was added to DSLRs only a short time ago.
LV Button = the button that turns Live view on or off.

Live view flips up the mirror and exposes the sensor thus making the camera work similar to a video camera or point and shoot camera. This is all good but if used for too long it will cause the sensor to overheat. A DSLR is designed to have the sensor covered up and turned off, maybe on 'standby' would be better, so that it only uses a lot of power when you are actually taking a picture which in normal operations is a very, very, very short amount of time (maybe 1/100 second). But when taking video or using the Live View the sensor is on all the time and it will overheat.

All that said, I suggest you turn off the camera, let it cool down and when it has cooled off try taking some pictures WITHOUT live view just use the view finder. If this works OK then the camera is fine and it just got overheated. If it still does not work then possibly there is something wrong. Try this and post back.

And may I respectfully suggest that you read the manual?
07-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #10

Original Poster
@Rawr :

Im not trolling anyone, I purchased an K-5 II because it was one of the best camera rated on the web for his price and I know there's something im not doing correctly, I've watch some videos/photos about K-5 II I just can't get the same quality. I do know what mean those red characters... But why are they blinking in every mode ? I tried to adjust the iso but it doesn't change anything. Well... I can take pictures but not with my "Live view" on.

@Jatrax :

Yes it's my first DSLR, I used to have an Canon SX 40HS but it's completly different, im having trouble getting my K-5 II working properly. Thanks for letting me know about those references, now I understand what is a "Viewfinder" and a "Live View" and what the LV button is for.

I did read the manual, atleast 20~30 pages and also "English" isn't my main language so im doing my best trying figuring out how everything works.

So if I understood correctly, I should close/avoid using Live View and be more friendly with the viewfinder. That would solve my overheating problem, that's great !

Now about my pictures, im gonna go back outside tomorrow morning to get some shoots and see if I have anymore trouble.

Thank you for being nice and quick to reply

Best regards, Mathieu
07-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mathieu, what language do you need? The manual is available as a PDF in many languages online.

Guessing French? Try: Page produit du reflex Pentax K-5 - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING FRANCE

Post back tomorrow if you have more questions, we will get you going. I have to work tomorrow so I won't be able to answer until late.

Best,
John
07-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Husky Quote
I should close/avoid using Live View and be more friendly with the viewfinder. That would solve my overheating problem, that's great !
Hopefully it will and nothing is wrong with the camera.

Live view is very useful for somethings, you just cannot use all the time. I think maybe 10 minutes is fine though I've never tried that. I use Live View in the studio when I'm doing product shots because you can zoom in and check the precise focus. But I don't like it much for outside work as the view finder is easier to use.
07-14-2013, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

The lens cap is on?
07-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
The lens cap is on?
My thought too! (That's the cause of the red lettering anyway.)
07-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #15

Original Poster
@Jatrax :

- Thanks for the French manual, ima take a look at it ^_^ can't wait to do some testing tomorrow.

@Edvinas n' MarkJerling :

- No my camera lens was open, there was no cap that's why I don't get it >_< im taking picture outside, in a sunny day condition, about 10 pictures than I getting a black screen with red letters and I can't change the number in any mode. =/