Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

Lightroom and K-5 ii DNG's? Images attached

Hi all,

I am really new to Raw post processing. I had my monitor calibrated but for the life of me I just can't seem to get the proper exposure/contrast/color rendition from the DNG in LightRoom
Attached are three versions of the same DNG run through different settings. The third is very close to the dng view from the pentax DCU software but just doesn't look quite right to me.

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  83.7 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  84.9 KB
Name:  3.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  133.3 KB

Thanks!

07-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For what it's worth, the first image looks right to me.
07-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback cal,
I am partial to the first one as well, it certainly has the most accurate colors. Do the colors look a little oversaturated to you? I am wondering if my monitor is not accurately calibrated.
07-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What a wonderful capture! Those eyes, and that expression is priceless. Nice one.
And welcome to the forum.

Each of these are way too blue and unnatural looking. Whether this is the result of faulty calibration is hard to say, but I would guess that your newness to post processing is a major contributor. As you get more comfortable with your tools, you will have to decide how you are going to measure "quality" in developing an image. A simplified way to think about your options is managing the balance between what the camera captures using the built-in engineering intelligence you paid money for vs. what YOU feel is a pleasing rendition according to your own subjective and intuitive judgement.

When photographing people, I'm rarely satisfied with the camera's interpretation. There are just too many variables in skin tone, hair color, and lighting, for a camera automatic program to account for in an aesthetically pleasing manner for my standards. Look, that baby is not blue.

For you to get the feel of doing this right will take quite a while, so be patient with yourself but trust your memories. Color and tone in photography is super malleable these days which means that there is room for you to forge your impression of the scene you photographed. Remember, the picture is not the reality, it is an artifact of reality.

My attached version merely reflects a minute of LR4 fixins'. Here are the relevant settings that give you a bit of my thinking here:

WB:
Temp +15
Tint -18
Tone:
Exposure +.10
Highlights +4
Presence:
Clarity: +9
Vibrance: +2
Tone Curve:
Lights: +23

Process 2012
No added sharpening or NR

Hope this helps,

M

Attached Images

07-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
Miguel,

Your tweaks are what I was looking for... Now to figure out how to make the raw image look like what you did to the jpg.
Can't seem to pull the blue out of the raw,
07-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Miguel has managed to make the white on the lower right look like "white" on my monitor, much better.
07-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #7

Original Poster
Definately a learning curve with lightroom. Miguel did that in seconds... It took me a few hours to try to math it ;/
what do you guys think?
Name:  1.1.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  1.2.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  112.3 KB
07-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter

LR4 has a tool to adjust the white balance. Just point it at a spot that is white and click. It will automatically adjust both the color temperature and tint to the correct white balance. The image will be adjusted to make that spot white (or neutral gray). If the adjusted spot is not white (or neutral gray) on your monitor, it means your monitor is miscalibrated.

I recommend resisting temptation to change the white balance set by this tool - unless you specifically want your image to have an offset white balance; for example, you want a yellow sunset, or prefer a slight yellow cast when shooting with incandescent lighting. If you are using Photoshop Elements, Adobe Camera RAW has the same tool in the menu bar (and I expect full-blown Photoshop does too).

Attached Images

07-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aelvion Quote
what do you guys think?
First one seems most natural.

If you really want to avoid these issues in future for important shots, you might want to consider investing in something like the Xrite ColorChecker passport, or similar.

Or even just get a $5 grey card from eBay and shoot with it in the scene (so you can correct in PP, pointing the Lightroom dropper on the grey card) or use it to set your in-camera WB on location.
07-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Miguel did that in seconds... It took me a few hours to try to math it ;/
Well, TBH, I shoulda mentioned the 40 years prior photographic experience including 24 with digital media. . . but you are learning fast.

what do you guys think?
First one looks better, still a tad too blue/grey. I'd add a little brightening, or vibrance to give it a bit more vitality,

M
07-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adobe kind of buries the Camera Calibration setting for Lightroom, and by default may choose Adobe Standard. You can switch it to Camera Standard which is quite different. I would look at this setting, because the Pentax DCU software is going to use something closer to Camera Standard. It may be why you have trouble getting the same output. When you choose one for Lightroom, make it the default setting.

Lightroom's tool for white balance is the most informative/best interface that I've seen. In version 4, you see the point you're picking and a magnified field of pixels nearby, plus the R, G and B values in that box. You can magnify the view in other software but it's clunky to switch back and forth between that and the full shot. You can also apply the same white balance to a set of shots, so if you know the lighting was the same for 200 baby shots, you only have to work it out once.

Beware of choosing a white point in different lighting than your subject. Even outdoor lighting has different temperatures depending on direction, time of day, weather, reflections, etc.

Some shots won't have a convenient white point. Those shots are usually when you haven't brought any gray card either. (While typing this, I just invented a new product: gray lens caps! it's a gray card and protection device that's always handy.) You can try the software presets, or the Auto setting, or guess from experience.

After processing some shots, the white balance adjustment is easier. You will start to see where the lighting temperature will give you trouble in advance, and see more ways to correct it (or create an effect) in processing.
07-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks all. really good feedback.
The white balance selection tool is really helpful, didn't know it was even there.

I have some experience with developing film in darkrooms and I swear that seems easy compared to learning these programs and trying to match the monitor image to the print.