Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The infamous "F- - -" showed up with my K5 with DA*300/4

Just as was raving about my DA*300/4 and K5 kit, the infamous F_ _ _ showed up a couple of time this late afternoon today.

This is what happened:
(fully charged battery)

1. took a few shots in TAv (as usual) and all of them were just fine, although I could "maybe" hear/feel a slight lag in the shutter when I pressed on the shutter button. "lag" as if the shutter was not quite speedy as I would nornally hear it.
I thought nothing of it at first but it did happen a couple more times. Shots were still fine.
This was at TAv 1/1600s and F4 to F5.6
I switched the camera Off and ON again. I made sure that the switches were in the proper position on both the lens and the camera. I wiggled the lens a bit to see if it was loose: nope!

2. took a few more shots and when I got ready for a subsequent shot, I saw the blinking " F_ _ _" which lsted for maybe 5 to 6 seconds, then went back normal again.

3. more shots taken ... no problem.

4. Got home, fired a few at the garden and this blinking F appeared for a second no more.

I am wondering if this is something to worry about, and maybe I should because the same happened a few years back with a Sigma zoom lens I have since sold. The buyer never had trouble with the lens and never saw the F blinking either.
Now this is a diferent story with the DA*300/4 and the K5 .... which/what is causing this behavior?

If someone can shed light on this weird behavior and offer some tips on what to check for, I would appreciate it a lot!

Cheers!

JP

07-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You might try cleaning the contacts on the lens and on the camera mount. Denatured alcohol on a Q-tip works well, just make sure that everything is turned off, might want to pull the battery just to be safe.
07-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
You might try cleaning the contacts on the lens and on the camera mount. Denatured alcohol on a Q-tip works well, just make sure that everything is turned off, might want to pull the battery just to be safe.
Thanks !

I will do that ...

I would be surprised if the contacts were dirty (I very seldom take this lens off of the camera) but it is nevertheless a good thing to do.

Cheers!

JP
07-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Our weather is very hot this week: 34 C in Ottawa, low 30's in Québec? Perhaps it was a case of the camera overheating, although the K-5 is rated to +40C.

- Craig

07-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Our weather is very hot this week: 34 C in Ottawa, low 30's in Québec? Perhaps it was a case of the camera overheating, although the K-5 is rated to +40C.

- Craig
Thanks Craig.

It wasn't hot at all here during late afternoon ... I would think about 25C or less with a good wind.
So, I assume this was not an overheating matter.
Only thing: lots of humidity after a shower at the end of the afternoon (4-ish) and the sun coming out after ... steamy but not "fiery" hot.

JP
07-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
For the record, it was 42°C when I was shooting on the 4th of July, and my K-5 did not complain.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
"F- - -"
That's what I say when I get somewhere, turn the camera on, and it says, "No card in camera."
07-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
For the record, it was 42°C when I was shooting on the 4th of July, and my K-5 did not complain.

That's what I say when I get somewhere, turn the camera on, and it says, "No card in camera."
That's what came up in my head as a response when I saw this blinking "whatever".

Update: I thouroughly cleaned the lens and contacts, went out for a few shots: no problem today.

So that could well be what it was and I hope that is all there is to it.

Cheers !

JP
08-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #8

I had this problem using a Simga 28-70 on the weekend

I was shooting at a drag meet. So didn't notice at first, but then when I was reviewing the shots several dark images where present.

After a while I notice the F-- and noticed if I moved the base of the lens against the camera the F-- changed to the proper aperture.

I wiped the contacts on both the camera and lens, but still had the same problem the next day.

I used my primes and had no problems. Is this a big heavy lens problem or a contact problem?

Cheers

Colin

08-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had this problem with an older screw-drive Sigma 105 EX DG macro on Tuesday evening when I was using this lens at a gig. After mounting the Sigma, for some reason the camera started intermittently asking for focal length, and F-- would also flash. AF and exposure also went wonky. I kept shooting but half the shots showed 85mm focal length in the EXIF and the other half 105mm.

I can only conclude that I didn't mount the lens properly. I will clean the contacts on the lens and mount and next time I will pay more attention when mounting this lens. Unfortunately it meant I missed some nice shots.
08-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colinmiller18 Quote
I had this problem using a Simga 28-70 on the weekend

I was shooting at a drag meet. So didn't notice at first, but then when I was reviewing the shots several dark images where present.

After a while I notice the F-- and noticed if I moved the base of the lens against the camera the F-- changed to the proper aperture.

I wiped the contacts on both the camera and lens, but still had the same problem the next day.

I used my primes and had no problems. Is this a big heavy lens problem or a contact problem?

Cheers

Colin
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I had this problem with an older screw-drive Sigma 105 EX DG macro on Tuesday evening when I was using this lens at a gig. After mounting the Sigma, for some reason the camera started intermittently asking for focal length, and F-- would also flash. AF and exposure also went wonky. I kept shooting but half the shots showed 85mm focal length in the EXIF and the other half 105mm.

I can only conclude that I didn't mount the lens properly. I will clean the contacts on the lens and mount and next time I will pay more attention when mounting this lens. Unfortunately it meant I missed some nice shots.
Weird that Sigma lenses show more often with this F - - - thing.
I had similar problems with a brand new Sigma 100-300/4 a while back and even Sigma couldn't figure out what the matter was.
Anyway, I sold it but the owner never had problems with it ... go figure!

JP
08-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I have seen this with my K5 and lenses two or three times in the last few years, I just released the lens and put it back on again because someone said on this forum that it can happen with a loose contact between the camera and lens. Not sure if that is true or not and why if true. But I have not changed my lenses or camera and it has worked fine...