Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-7 "peaking" level for manual focus

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello everyone,

I got to test Rokinon 500 mm lens. When you connect with the Pentax K-7 (T2-adapter Pentax), everything is fine. I set it to manual focus, but I have no "peaking" (little red square on object which is in focus) function for detecting the focus. With Cosina lens 70-210 (MF), peaking is okay.

Do you have any idea what this is about?

Thanks in advance.

07-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this a fixed aperture mirror lens? Perhaps the aperture is not fast enough for focus confirmation?
07-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Is this a fixed aperture mirror lens? Perhaps the aperture is not fast enough for focus confirmation?
This is that lens.
Dear crewl1. I think you got a point. Is it possible to "correct" that in some way?
Thank you for the super quick answer.

Last edited by SkipperRi; 07-18-2013 at 10:28 AM.
07-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A f/8 lens is a f/8 lens. Put the TC on it and it is a f/16 lens...

If the light is good enough for you to focus you shouldn't have too much of a problem. The DoF you see in the viewfinder is the DoF you are going to get in the photo, a spit image focusing screen won't help because the split image would be blacked out...

07-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Boris,

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I get it now.
07-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by SkipperRi Quote
Hello everyone,

I got to test Rokinon 500 mm lens. When you connect with the Pentax K-7 (T2-adapter Pentax), everything is fine. I set it to manual focus, but I have no "peaking" (little red square on object which is in focus) function for detecting the focus. With Cosina lens 70-210 (MF), peaking is okay.

Do you have any idea what this is about?

Thanks in advance.
That's not focus peaking, btw. Focus peaking is when sharp edges are highlighted on the screen

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's not focus peaking, btw. Focus peaking is when sharp edges are highlighted on the screen
Right. What's the name of this function?

07-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Right. What's the name of this function?
AF/focus confirmation

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
AF/focus confirmation
Thanks Adam. BTW, does K-7 have peaking at all?
07-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Adam. BTW, does K-7 have peaking at all?
No, only the Q/7/10, K-01 & K-30/50/500 have focus peaking. There has been speculation that the Prime II processor in the K-7/5/5II/5IIs isn't fast enough to handle focus peaking.
07-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No, only the Q/7/10, K-01 & K-30/50/500 have focus peaking. There has been speculation that the Prime II processor in the K-7/5/5II/5IIs isn't fast enough to handle focus peaking.
Hm, isn't that a little bit strange, boris? After all, these are flagship models, everyone in his era. Also, that are great cameras, but with too slow processor for peaking...
07-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hm, isn't that a little bit strange, boris? After all, these are flagship models, everyone in his era. Also, that are great cameras, but with too slow processor for peaking...
Prime II is an older processor than the Prime M in the lower end models. But Prime II can handle 14-bit RAW files (K-5 & later) & has a higher frame rate than the lower end models (bigger buffer). In the past, if the hardware supported it, Pentax would add features through a firmware update (the Q got focus peaking with the 1.10 update).