Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #1

Wrong aperture communication?

Hello,

I have an issue with a 3rd party manual lense on my Pentax K100D. It is an Exakta 28mm Macro lense with A setting. It has an aperture range from 2.8 to 22. However, when putting it to A and controlling the aperture in AV mode I can set it to all values between 1.4 and 22.

Did anybody observe something similar and can explain, what could be the reason?

Thanks,

Jim

07-18-2013, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Your lens was secretly a f/1.4? Score!

Seriously, though: the lens tells the camera its aperture range via a binary code created by the contacts on the lens mount. If a contact is conductive (metal), it's a 1. If it's an insulator (plastic) it's a zero. Look at the chart halfway down the page here:

Features and Operation of the Ka Mount

The code your lens is supposed to transmit is 011*10 (the * is the contact that tells the camera it's dealing with an A lens), which means f/2.8-22. The code the camera is getting is 111*10, which means f/1.4-22.

The contact closest to the bottom of the lens, furthest from the red mounting dot, is supposed to be an insulator on your lens (0), but the camera is seeing it as conductive (1). Clean it and see what happens. If that fails, put a little piece of tape over that last contact.
07-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Your lens was secretly a f/1.4? Score!

Seriously, though: the lens tells the camera its aperture range via a binary code created by the contacts on the lens mount. If a contact is conductive (metal), it's a 1. If it's an insulator (plastic) it's a zero. Look at the chart halfway down the page here:

Features and Operation of the Ka Mount

The code your lens is supposed to transmit is 011*10 (the * is the contact that tells the camera it's dealing with an A lens), which means f/2.8-22. The code the camera is getting is 111*10, which means f/1.4-22.

The contact closest to the bottom of the lens, furthest from the red mounting dot, is supposed to be an insulator on your lens (0), but the camera is seeing it as conductive (1). Clean it and see what happens. If that fails, put a little piece of tape over that last contact.
Thanks a lot - great ressource!

Putting a tape over the contact really worked. So I now need to see if this works in a longer run or if I need to insulate it in a different way!