Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

My 50 1.7 is grinding :(

Where is a good place to send it to be repaired? I'd love somewhere reputable that isn't going to cost me more than the lens.

07-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which 50? F, FA, DA?

I had a similar problem with my F. I was adviced to remove it from the camera and see how the focus ring felt.

Anyway after I did that and mounted in back on the grinding was gone. It was possible that I didnt mount well in the first place.

Also I have noticed that if I am pointing my camera downwards, there is a little bit extra noise than when I am not. But it is not grinding.

In any case this is just some troubleshooting ideas to narrow down the problem.
07-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My F50/1.7 does it too but only when I put the camera in certain positions... I never gave it any importance as I see no resistence during AF
07-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

My newly (used) purchased M 50 1.4 started grinding when I dropped it in my kitchen. I took it apart and used a Dremel rotary tool to grind down the bent metal. Even though I took pictures while taking it apart, putting it back together was one of the hardest things I've ever done.

07-19-2013, 04:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Clean + Lube?

Hi April.H,
Years ago I had a 28mm f/2.8 M series that developed the 'grind', sounded like scraping sandpaper when the focusing ring was moved.
Took it to a local camera repair shop (remember when many of these existed? Sigh...) and the owner knew what it was immediately. He showed me another lens that was in for a similar problem, the helical lube had dried up, it looks like a thin paste or grease.
Anyway, the repair (at the time) was $30. About 1/2 to 1/3rd the cost of a replacement lens.
That shop is long-gone, but Denver Pro Photo has a lens repair department, I've had work done there, pretty reasonable and fast service. They only work on older cameras and lenses. Perhaps there's a similar service nearby to you?
Ron
07-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I may have to take it to Denver, the closest camera shop otherwise is in Wichita and they don't work on lenses there. Thank you!
07-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Don't forget Eric Hendrickson, our favorite "send-it-away" Pentax expert. He is quite reasonable on lens work.
07-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have bigger problems with my Tamron 28-75. It's been getting worse but I use selective focus and it's focusing where ever the heck it wants to. Of course it's not consistent which leaves you wondering if you screwed up that much. But I just did a boudoir session and I know I focused on her eyes for a shot but the blankets in front of her (she's standing and the blankets are on the bed) are in focus but her face is slightly out of focus. OMG. This is not ok. It's gotten progressively worse in the last few months. I don't think it's my camera because my 100mm lens works beautifully. The pictures are always in focus as long as I did things right.

How do I contact Eric and does he work on the focus or do I need to send it in somewhere?

07-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hold on, before we get carried away, you haven't told us which 50mm f/1.7 lens you have. If it's an old M-series, it would likely be cheaper to just replace it. If it's an A, maybe not. If it's an F or FA, fixing it would probably be worth it.
07-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's an F, my little M 50 2.0 is fine
07-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just checked it again and it's not nearly as loud as it was the other day. So strange
07-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter

On a related topic, I was trying to dismount a lens hood in the field from the filter ring on my F 35-70 about a month ago and wound up holding the entire front element mechanism in my hand. This part of the lens barrel is all plastic and I was able to remount it in the field by pure luck .... or maybe not so lucky. There was a scratchy dragging sound during focusing, either manually or using auto-focus, but no noticeable increase in force needed to focus. I was able to pop the lens back apart in my office and I looked for a broken part but couldn't see any. The scratchy sound during focusing remains, but the lens performs just as it always has across both the focusing range and the zoom range. As a CLA would likely cost as much as replacement cost, I've decided to leave well enough alone, just using more caution when using the filter ring.