Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #1

Lenses

I have a Pentax K1000 SLR camera, I have two lenses that I used with this camera one is a Macro lens for Pentax KR. I would like to know what Pentax Digital SLR camera will accept this lens?

07-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use my collection of K1000-era lenses on a K-5, and expect they would work on any K-series digital. However, the digitals have no mechanical linkage to detect the f-stop setting, and so must use stop-down metering. Usually that means just a thumb press of the infamous "green button" just before shooting, which stops the lens momentarily and sets the shutter speed in M mode.
If you have any "A" series lenses with electrical contacts on the mount the camera will sense f-stop electrically and meter in other modes as well.
I have both a 100 mm Pentax M macro and a 50 mm 2.8 Pentax A macro, and both work very well on the K-5, especially the A model for reason stated above.
07-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Alle lenses are accept with a K-mount.
You might need to enable the use of the aperture ring inside the "custom menu"
07-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by woodcrafters Quote
I would like to know what Pentax Digital SLR camera will accept this lens?
All Pentax k-mount cameras will accept all Pentax k-mount lenses. Current digital k-mount are k-7,k-5,k-5II, k-x,k-r,k-30,k-01 and the new k-50 and k-500. Slightly older k-10d and k20d also work just fine. Pentax also makes the Q line which does not accept k-mount lenses unless you use an adapter.

Be aware that some lenses marked 'KR' can have an extra pin that causes problems on modern cameras. I assume that lens is not made by Pentax? It might work fine, or it might not. I would get an opinion here by posting the exact make and model number and possibly a picture of the mount.

07-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
All Of Them!

Hello Woodcrafters, welcome to the Forum!
Virtually every lens that works on your K1000 will mount and work on all the Pentax DSLR bodies. All M42 (with adapter) K, PK, PK-A and newer auto-focus lenses. Just beware the dreaded Ricoh pin!
There's a list posted for manual lens use and compatability somewhere, don't have the link handy.
Ron
07-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
I purchased a Pentax K100 DSLR on Ebay. The lenses I have will not fit this camera. The one lens is a macro by Craig Optics 35-70mm for Pentax KR. I just tried the other lens with a Tele Converter and it fits.
07-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter

The lenses I have will not fit this camera.
You say the lenses do not fit but then you say the other lens fits with a teleconverter. Now I am confused. With a very few, rare, exceptions any k-mount lens ever made will work on all digital Pentax cameras.

The exceptions are the Ricoh pin often found on lenses marked 'KR' as noted above. This does not prevent the lens from being attached, or even working, but it can make it difficult to take the lens back off as the extra pin gets stuck in the AF drive slot. The other exception is a overly large aperture lever shield on some lenses (mostly Sigma as far as I know) that will not mount because they hit the powerzoom/SDM contacts on newer cameras. In this case the shield can generally be removed without too much trouble.

If you want help and not just guesses then we need exact information. When describing a lens all of the information is needed as companies made different models with only slight changes in the name. So: make, model, zoom range aperture range and any other info on the lens will help. Images of the lens and particularly the mount are needed to see if it should work. If you bought something on fleabay then a link to the original listing can also help.

In short, if those lenses worked on your k1000 they should work on the K100D as well, except for the exceptions noted above. If they don't, then manual focus Pentax lenses like Pentax M 50mm f/2 are quite inexpensive on fleabay.
07-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

From what I was able to find, some Craig Optics lenses do have the extended shield that has to be trimmed.

Here's a picture of what we're talking about (Lens on the left is a Pentax M, lens on right is a Soligor, red line shows the material I removed from the Soligor). It's not hard to do, if you have a small screwdriver and something to trim with (like a Dremel Moto-tool with a cutting wheel, a metal grinder, a flat file, or even a fine-toothed hacksaw blade).

How to modify older K-mount lenses where the shield for the aperture arm is too long:
1) Remove the mount plate from the lens (probably just four screws)
2) Cut away the excess shield with a Dremel cutting wheel (marked in red)
3) Be sure to remove all dust!
4) Reinstall the mount plate on the lens.

07-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
lens

I have a Pentax K100-D SLR digital Camera. One lens that I have would go on my Pentax K 1000 35mm SLR Camera, however it will not go on the K100-D digital camera. The lens is a Macro 1:5 made by Craig Optics. The serial # is as follows, 9010774. 35-70mm, f3.5/4.8 Macro 49mm. The other lens I have is made by Craig Optics. This lens will go on the Pentax 100-D digital camera, however the camera will not work, if I remove the lens the camera will operate. the lens is as follows, # 9071011, Craig Optics, MC Auto Zoom Macro, 1:4~5.6 f=60~300mm. Anybody have some suggestions.
07-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Pentax K100-D SLR digital Camera. One lens that I have would go on my Pentax K 1000 35mm SLR Camera, however it will not go on the K100-D digital camera. The lens is a Macro 1:5 made by Craig Optics. The serial # is as follows, 9010774. 35-70mm, f3.5/4.8 Macro 49mm. The other lens I have is made by Craig Optics. This lens will go on the Pentax 100-D digital camera, however the camera will not work, if I remove the lens the camera will operate. the lens is as follows, # 9071011, Craig Optics, MC Auto Zoom Macro, 1:4~5.6 f=60~300mm. Anybody have some suggestions.
You need to set the menu option "Using Aperture Ring" to "permitted". I'm not sure where it is on the K100d, but it is in the Custom Settings on my K10d on the last page.

At the top of the Beginners forum there is a complete set of instructions on using manual lenses on the newer cameras.
07-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
lens

Thanks Canada, That did the trick.....Thanks again
07-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Awww no thanks for me, i said it first though
07-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Awww no thanks for me, i said it first though
I believe the OP missed your post, so I repeated the advice.
07-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Haha was only joking, didn't feel passed by or anything. =]
01-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #15

Can you tell me about your Craig Optics lenses , especially how the 35-70mm one you have performs? I have the opportunity to buy one in mint condition super cheep, but I wonder even if its cheep if I should not bother and save a couple bucks.