Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Can anyone tell me (approximately) what magnification this is?

This was on my K5, using a Sigma 10-20mm, at 10mm, with a reversal ring, and either just the smallest extension tube (without it the lens bumps into the bit beneath the on-camera flash) or the full set of extension tubes, I forget which. It was handheld, so it's not perfectly sharp, but it was one of the better ones of the eye on the US 1 dollar bill.

This one is even softer, but I know for sure this one was at 10mm and had all 3 tubes attached. It's the "UM" of the "E PLURIBUS UNUM" banner in the eagle's beak on the back of the $1 bill

I'm sure there's probably some simple thing I could do like measuring it with a ruler, but my brain is fried -- can anyone give me a rough estimate? Thanks

07-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The sensor is 23,7mm x 15,7mm, So if the eye was 23,7mm long you wouldŽve a 1:1 shot. But the eye is probably about 1mm long so IŽd say you have a 24:1 magnifiaction approximately...

(right?)
07-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Makes sense to me. I suppose the smart thing to do would be photograph a ruler.
07-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Or just measure the eye with a caliper