Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #1

Help !!!! Pentax K5 Problem

Need some advice regarding my new Pentax K5 with DA 18-135mm WR lens, i have only purchased this camera(10/7/2013) after months of deliberation and research in which i narrowed it down to the K5 :-), Any how i seem to be having issues with the selection of capture modes, i purchased through a retailer on amazon and phoned them for some advice, i don't think they where taking on board what i was saying and eventually told me to contact Pentax directly in which i have had no response yet, the retailer was saying i had mucked up the settings and the camera was stuck on bulb mode, i don't think this is the case and want some more opinions and advice. When switching on the camera and moving the capture mode to P the display shows X, Sv shows Bulb,Tv shows M, Av shows M, TAv shows M, M gives me M, B gives me Bulb,X gives me X, User gives me User, Green Mode shows User. Does this look like a setting fault or camera fault as i feel as if i have not got 5 out of 11 capture mode settings. Please Help as if its a camera fault i want to return it as soon as possible.

07-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

First try resetting the camera. Should find all the reset information on p335 of your manual.

In the set-up menu you'll find a 'Reset' choice that'll reset any changes you've made in set-up, rec and playback.

In the Custom Setting menu ( Custom Setting 4 on my K5 II) you'll find 'Reset Custom Functions'.

Do both, then try your camera again. It'll effectively be back to factory settings.

If you have the same issues after the resets, then it's a fault and return.

As you're in the UK we have a lot of Consumer protection legislation available if the seller is difficult, but note that Amazon itself is outside the UK. That said, Amazon have a reputation for being mostly quite helpful.

I've dropped you a PM with a suggestion for another retailer highly regarded for Customer Service amongst the UK Pentax community and are also very good on prices, although not always the cheapest. They have the K5 on special at the moment for 449 body only, 839 bundled with the 18-135, or, oddly, 794 for the K-5 body + a new unboxed 18-135.
07-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The common things to do is charge up your battery and leave it outside the camera for a couple hours (or overnight).
Then go into menu and do factory reset.
Another thing you can do is dismount the lens (push button all the way, rotate gently), and make sure the contacts are clean. Both on the lens mount and the camera mount, just wipe them.
07-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The common things to do is charge up your battery and leave it outside the camera for a couple hours (or overnight).
Then go into menu and do factory reset.
Another thing you can do is dismount the lens (push button all the way, rotate gently), and make sure the contacts are clean. Both on the lens mount and the camera mount, just wipe them.
Thanks i tried the reset and the custom reset to no avail, so i'll try taking the battery out charging it putting it back in the reset again see if that makes any difference. Thanks for the replies keep you updated.

07-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Yep. I can't think of any camera settings that would change Auto/green mode into User. While you wait, you can search these forums for threads on people who had problems with the mode dial, see how they resolved it. Good luck.
07-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

If its not been done yet, try updating to the latest firmware...
07-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Agree, update to latest firmware and if that does not fix it, it's time for a trip to the Pentax doctor!
07-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Agree, update to latest firmware and if that does not fix it, it's time for a trip to the Pentax doctor!
Tried everything mentioned here, even updated firmware, This resolved the green mode back to green but Av Tav and Video still not working, then turned off for a couple of days and when i turned it back on it was as bad as ever, :-( Getting sent back to retailer, just hope next one not like this, only had that one a week.

07-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ExtremeWalker Quote
Tried everything mentioned here, even updated firmware, This resolved the green mode back to green but Av Tav and Video still not working, then turned off for a couple of days and when i turned it back on it was as bad as ever, :-( Getting sent back to retailer, just hope next one not like this, only had that one a week.
I think it's good to have the problems surface when new. In my view, it's much worse if all goes well for a year and the problems start then! Still, one expects 'quality control' to prevent these sort of issues. Let us know how you get on with the replacement.
07-30-2013, 04:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Just a simple question here but are the modes on the display as you move from mode to mode, in the correct sequence on the dial? Bu this, I mean are they simply shifted, as if the dial is not assembled properly?

If so, I would question the seller as to whether this is , in fact a new camera
08-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #11

Original Poster
Sent the camera back to the retailer and got a phone call yesterday saying my new camera will be a couple of days, wish it would hurry up
08-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just a simple question here but are the modes on the display as you move from mode to mode, in the correct sequence on the dial? Bu this, I mean are they simply shifted, as if the dial is not assembled properly?

If so, I would question the seller as to whether this is , in fact a new camera
I spoke with a rep from Pentax and he informed me that there is some issue through the K range with this happening, He had a look at the camera and there was no mention of it being reconditioned so think it was new, regardless i still want a K5 :-)
08-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #13

Original Poster
Eventually got a new K5 after major hassles woohoo
08-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ExtremeWalker Quote
Eventually got a new K5 after major hassles woohoo
Hope this one is fault free!