Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #1

RE: Autofocus not working on KII 5 Body with 77mm 1.8

Hello folks,

I just got a 77mm 1.8 lens and auto focus does not work on my k5 II body. I am a Pentax newb, so I am sorry if this is a dumb question but am I doing something wrong?

Is there a trick to enable this?

07-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #2

Original Poster
Any1 able to help guys? I just bought this lens and I'm afraid its broken ;(
07-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
Any1 folks?
07-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
When i turn on the camera it asks me to put focus length in.... I've never seen this before on any camera.

I'd REALLY appreciate some help.

07-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shouldn't be any trick, but it sounds like you have some dirty contacts on the lens and/or body, so the two aren't communicating properly. Check those two first and clean them with a lens cleaning cloth. And, of course, make sure your body AF switch is set to auto focus and not manual!
07-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
Shouldn't be any trick, but it sounds like you have some dirty contacts on the lens and/or body, so the two aren't communicating properly. Check those two first and clean them with a lens cleaning cloth. And, of course, make sure your body AF switch is set to auto focus and not manual!
Thanks, i did switch to auto. My other lenses work fine so it must be his lens.
07-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
I noticed that even when i switch the camera body to AF it still says MF when I look in the viewfinder but the motor does seem to be engaged meaning that if i try to turn the lens to focus manually it is hard to do. When I switch camera to MF it is nice and smooth.

Lens looks like it is brand new. There is no dust or anything like that.

This is beyond weird.
07-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Borislav Quote
When i turn on the camera it asks me to put focus length in.... I've never seen this before on any camera.
If it is asking you to input the focal length then the camera does not see the lens. It thinks you have mounted an all manual lens with no id chip.

As noted above this is usually indicative of dirty contacts. It could also be a problem with the lens, check the contacts on the lens each should be just above the surface of the lens mount and all the same height. If there are any that are not then this is likely your problem. If all are the same try cleaning them again with a soft lens cloth. If that does not work you might try the lens on a different camera to check but I suspect at that point there might be something wrong with the lens. Did you buy new or used?

07-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On both my K-5 and k-01, when a lens fails to register as AF, I have found the two brass/gold contacts inside the mount to be most likely the cause of the omission. It may be that as I cleaned them, I also brushed dust off the on-mount contacts.

Either way, clean the mount contacts AND the lens contacts and maybe wiggle the half-mounted lens a couple of times with the release lock open, before you lock it in place.

Please report back what you experience.
Good luck!
07-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions folks but nothing has worked. I think there is an internal problem with this lens. I bought it "LIKE NEW" from Korea via ebay. I've allready filed a claim.

Hopefully he will give me a refund. If not I'll get the money through the bank.