Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Marks on Front Element

I recently bought a FA 20mm advertised as nearly perfect. When I received it and took a hard look at the front element under light I notice what I can only describe as speckles, almost like maybe the lens was struck by windblown sand that left small marks in the coating. They appear to be in the coating only and I haven't seen any evidence of this causing an issue during the two times I've used the lens. Other than these speckle marks in the coating the lens appears as advertised.

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether this is something to be concerned about, or should I forget about it and just enjoy?

07-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In use, you won't see any difference. It will affect value - resale will be harder and you can't sell for the average price.
07-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Do they look like cleaning marks?
Marks on the front element usually won't show up in photos, but in extreme cases they may lower overall contrast or affect flaring. With used lenses, its almost impossible to get "perfect" samples. They will almost always have dust inside, wear on the barrel and front element.. but these things generally dont affect IQ. What you should look for is whether the aperture blades work normally, if the lens elements are centered, if it focuses to infinity..
The FA 20 looks like a really interesting lens. Good luck and enjoy your newly acquired lens
07-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd use it and enjoy it. I have a used lens with a 1/4 inch scratch on the front element just off center. I knew it was there prior to purchase.. It doesn't effect the shots at all including flare.. I also don't shoot into overly bright light with it either.. It has become one favorite of my film lenses

Last edited by patrick9; 07-21-2013 at 06:09 AM. Reason: left out a word
07-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Such 'speckles' will decrease contrast, but typically not enough to notice. Always use a hood and you should be fine.
07-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'll just use it and enjoy. Appreciate the feedback.