Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I know a lens that can do it without hood!

The stupid hood on the DA40 Limited, with the tiny hole in front, has a stupid screw-on lens cap that takes ages to add or remove, and it is so small that it floats away in the air if you are not careful. You can see that the poor cap feels ashamed, that it is stuck to such a stupid hood, because it has it's PENTAX label on the inside. If you listen carefully when you pick up your camera you can hear it say: What? Me Pentax?

What I will say with this (stupid) post is that there are no absolute truths in this world.

07-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
That hood is not going to help that much on a 50mm lens.

You want to get a hood that is for the focal length.

That flower hood is so short that it is going to do almost nothing.
07-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote

Can you show me one that would be effective? Something like this, perhaps?

Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video
07-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Those rubber hoods or those round metalhoods in the middle of the length so noot ths small one or the big ones.

lens hood 49mm| B&H Photo Video

07-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is there a certain hood shape that is advantageous over the others?
Tulip hoods are carefully shaped to the image edges. They work well. I have an affection for rubber hoods, though, because they are more likely to protect and less likely to damage a lens. Some can be set to three sizes for different angles of view.
07-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote

Yes, that hood is designed for Lenses Above 15mm (APS-C Format), meaning that it will not vignette with most 15mm lenses. So it would give inadequate shading for a 50mm lens. With aftermarket or adapted hoods, coverage needs to be checked.
07-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
I know a lens that can do it without hood!

The stupid hood on the DA40 Limited, with the tiny hole in front, has a stupid screw-on lens cap that takes ages to add or remove, and it is so small that it floats away in the air if you are not careful. You can see that the poor cap feels ashamed, that it is stuck to such a stupid hood, because it has it's PENTAX label on the inside. If you listen carefully when you pick up your camera you can hear it say: What? Me Pentax?
Do not listen to this heretic! The hood and cap of the DA40 limited are awesome, and totally part of the appeal. Small, quirky, functional and aesthetically pleasing.

I use a hood every. single. time. I only use a filter if I want a specific effect like polarisation or exposure manipulation.
07-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Do not listen to this heretic! The hood and cap of the DA40 limited are awesome, and totally part of the appeal. Small, quirky, functional and aesthetically pleasing.

I use a hood every. single. time. I only use a filter if I want a specific effect like polarisation or exposure manipulation.
I tried to give my post the style of a parable, but I agree that it didn't completely succeed and it is a bit overstated.

However, if you search images of the DA40 on camera's you will see that about 75% of them are not fitted with the hood. So, I'm not alone, there can be compelling reasons not to use a hood! ;-)

See also the DA40 reviews on PF.
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Please don't take this too serious. You suddenly don't get terrible photo's when no hood is used.

07-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Please don't take this too serious. You suddenly don't get terrible photos when no hood is used.
Relax, I wasn't serious at all.
On the other hand, a properly designed hood never hurts.
07-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #25

Think about practicality as well. The rubber foldable ones are really handy as you just squash them down when you want to put the lens in your bag. Metal ones have to be removed to save space but can sometimes be turned around and attached back onto the lens.

Also, if you plan to use a CPL a lot then one of the metal ones with a little access door at the top can be handy as they allow you to twist the CPL whilst in place.
07-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I just discovered that the beautiful cylindrical hood from the FA43 Limited (MH-RA 49) also fits on the DA40 Limited, they have the same filter size.

DA40 Limited hood
Part number: MH-RC 49
Filter size: 49 mm
Height: 6 mm
Weight: 8 gr
Material: Aluminum

FA43 Limited hood
Part number: MH-RA 49
Filter size: 49 mm
Height: 14 mm
Weight: 8 gr
Material: Aluminum
07-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Can you show me one that would be effective? Something like this, perhaps?

Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video
Pretty sure I have one of these rubber ones.
3 in 1 3 Stage Rubber Collapsible Lens Hood for Camera DSLR Canon Nikon Sony New | eBay

Seems to do a pretty good job for my 50's, but I am pretty sure that an even longer one would work better.

I have not seen any rubber hoods that specify the folcal length they were made for.

A flower hood that was specfically made for a 50mm focal length should in theory work even better, but I would have my doubts that a screw in one would line up properly.

Look in this thread for more info.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/134700-optimum...alculator.html
07-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
A hood can be really cheap as well...
This is very true. I love going to garage sales and estate sales. Whenever I find them for cheap, I pick up lens hoods and lens caps, even though I may not have a specific lens in mind for them. I've got a box at home filled with them. This past weekend, I bought an old Nikon lens hood for a quarter. Now, whenever I buy a lens, I've usually already got a hood to fit it and a lens cap that will fit the end of the hood.
07-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like it has been said enough already, but the hood is the answer here. never leave home without it! And if you buy the CPL, you will definitely want a hood to reduce oblique light striking the filter elements and causing flaring or killing your contrast. those cheap rubber collapsible are great on the M-50 lens.