Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #1

I think my K30 just went to the shitter.

I turned on my camera, turned on the flash, shot, and the flash made a pop noise. I'm assuming that it just blew out, but how is that possible when it was just a camera flash and not a speedlight?

Anyways, when I heard that I turned off my camera and turned it back on. I looked at the image and it was white, so I guess my camera just overexerted its flash somehow.

I notice that I can't even take a picture anymore, the shutter won't go off, the dials work, but I can't take a picture. When I try taking a picture, my camera freezes with the aperture and shutter speed display blinking. I guess maybe my camera's battery was too low and It somehow fried the battery, because I let it sit for a few hours after turning it back on and it still did the same thing. I tried if it was the SD card that got fried as well, nope. I dismounted the lens, turned it on, still froze. I charged the battery until fully charged, tried again, still froze.

I just got my camera about a month ago...

Any suggestions ?

07-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Looks like a Warranty job, the pop noise could have been the flash high voltage jumping to where it was not supposed to be !
07-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by steezylistic Quote
I just got my camera about a month ago...

Any suggestions ?
Did you buy it new? Could be as simple as a bad part used during manufacturing, which is fully covered by warranty. It happens, which is why warranty exists in the first place. Just take it back to your dealer, I'd say.
07-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
I bought it off amazon, new.

07-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CRIS Camera Repair is the warranty support provider for Pentax.Give them a call. You will need a copy of your original receipt, to be sent in with the camera.

07-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #6

Standard Pentax US warranty policy should apply. I would contact them for advise on how to handle this.

Product Repair & Service - PENTAX Imaging USA] warranty policy
Product Repair & Service - PENTAX Imaging USA] customer service

(or, apparently, see the rsponse above )
07-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK was this the built in, pop up flash? or a hot shoe flash?

If it's the built in I agree, check into warranty work. If it was a hot shoe, it might be the voltage is too high for the Pentax.