Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sensor Cleaning?

I noticed last month when I did some landscape photos that there was something in the shot in the sky. I was worried about the lens, but decided to blame it on the polorizing filter I was using. Tonight I was shooting with a different lens and shot some with and some without the same filter and the mark was back. It's clear and easy to see when I use the filter, but it's all of the shots I took tonight, with and without the filter and with 2 different lenses. So...it's gotta be the sensor, right? Is it just dust that needs to be cleaned from it (I've done that routine) or does it need to be cleaned or is it worse than that?

Here are a couple of shots that show it. It's in all of them, though. I haven't noticed it shooting people and plants and things, It the sky is a nice canvas for it and the filter helps isolate it.

You can see it right in the middle of the sky portion of the shot on the one above.

It's sitting on the horizon on this one.

I also learned that I don't know how to photograph the moon, but we'll save that for a different day.

Appreciate advice on what this is and how to go about fixing it.

07-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's one more. In addition to the comma, what's going on with the sky under the bridge (waves) or over the bridge (blotchy)? I've seen this a few times too. Is it a technique issue or something wrong?

07-23-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a hair, get yourself a rocket blower, take the lens off & air blow it off following the instructions.
07-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
posting at full size with full EXIF info would help.

07-23-2013, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

It is nothing more than a piece of dust or common fluff.

Do NOT take the blower. The fluff will just be blown to a new spot inside the mirror chamber. This piece of fluff was light enough to float into the camera one way or another and to believe you can just blow it away from where it settled and make it float out of the mount opening is wishful thinking. It is not like blowing dust off a table, you know.

If you are familiar with the "Chaos Theory" (Chaos theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) you will realize that this is most unlikely. With all the nooks and crannies that exist inside the mirror chamber and the wildly uncontrollable puffs of air creating turbulence the fluff is more likely to settle somewhere else through surface tension before it finds its way out the mount hole. Particularly if you blow from this direction.

To my way of thinking it will always be better to target the offending crap, pick it up with the right tool and get rid of it this way once and for all. To do this I use a sensor loupe GGS CCD SLR Sensor Cleaning Cleaner Magnifier Loupe 5X | eBay
which allows you to aim for the fluff and pick it up with either a static brush or the sticky PENTAX orange lollypop. (PENTAX O-ICK1) There are other such sticky pickups to be found on e-bay at a better price.

Greetings
07-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Looks like a hair, get yourself a rocket blower, take the lens off & air blow it off following the instructions.
+1, that needs nothing more than a little blow job
07-23-2013, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I like Copper Hill.
Copper Hill Images - CCD/CMOS Cleaning Tutorial - Introduction
07-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay, thanks guys. I have some watch making tools, including a loupe, so I'll sit down with it tonight and see what i can see. Glad it doesn't appear to be anything to panic over.

I'll figure out how to post full sized with EXIF. I was posting the way that I thought the forum wanted me to, but I can see the limitations.

07-23-2013, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by foto guy Quote
I finally managed to learn how to use the Copper Hill kit, and it works just fine. The trick is to read the instructions about 100 times, ignore them 30 times , then pay attention and end up with a clean sensor.
07-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmmmm, sounds promising.

I think I'll go into our local shop and ask one of them to watch/help me clean it. It looks like a skill that I need to have and before I ruin another would-be good bridge shot, I could probably use some instruction.
07-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Okay, thanks guys. I did some self cleaning tonight based on various instructions I found here and I seem to have cleaned it up pretty good. Might still get the guy at the shop to walk me through it using his preferred method at some point, but I've got it cleaned quite a bit better now. Of course I made it worse first. That's definitely what that Cheeto was in the middle of the frame. The blotchiness, I'll see if it happens again.

I appreciate the advice. I see all of the sensor cleaning threads now. Sorry to have created a new one. I wasn't sure that's what it was. Now I know.