Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax IST ... or pentax K10d?

Hi to everybody! I am frustrated by the last results of my my pentax P30 especially when mounted zooming or macro lens.Now, i am projecting to acquire a new pentax digital camera.So, what do you think about the two machines proposed to get the best of photography? Thanks

Last edited by Allam; 07-27-2013 at 07:55 AM.
07-25-2013, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K10D is a little more refined as a photographic tool compared with the *ist D (which I'm assuming you're referring to). 10Mp CCD vs 6Mp CCD and faster/more enduring continuous shooting as well as the use of a Li-ion battery vs AA batteries. But it depends on what you need in your photography. I would rather suggest investing a little more and getting a second hand K-7 or K-5 but I don't know your budget.

Ash.
07-25-2013, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The *ist D has TTL metering with flashes, which is a nice benefit. The K10D has weather sealing, in-body shake reduction, and is a great camera overall.

Which features do you need for your type of shooting? What else do you shoot besides macro?
07-25-2013, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K10D for sure - excellent image quality at 100-400 ISO, great handling, fast - maybe except the preview - but that also depends on how fast your SD card is. Also works perfect with TTL flashes - I can recommend only Pentax flashes however as I used only them with K10D. Overall - a very viable camera. When my first one died after 5 years of abusing due to accident - I bought K01 since I wanted something nice small and good enough that would keep me shooting until K5/5IIs successor comes - but I missed grip and handling and weather sealing + an outstanding quality at ISO 100 - so finally guess what ? I bought second hand K10D again - even better one I had with low shutter count and at least another 5 years of life ahead.. When Pentax comes up with something new - I will pass it on my 13 year old who started to be passionate about photography too - I am sure that K10D will withstand him with easy!

Go for it - this camera is good enough even for pro work for certain areas and the price they go for now is a steal !!

07-25-2013, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K10D has Shake Reduction, which helps with low shutter speeds and any lens. It is weather sealed, so if you get a WR or * lens, you can take advantage of it. It has contacts for focusing SDM and DC lenses. Those three reasons are why it's a better idea than the *ist D.

Either way, try to get the DA 18-55 with the camera because your film camera lenses are unlikely to cover the wide angle range, and the cheapest way to do that is the DA 18-55.

I would look around because these cameras are old enough so used pricing isn't consistent. I've seen overpriced K10Ds and underpriced K20Ds.
07-25-2013, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

k-30, there's a used body with 18-55 kit at B&H for like 420, no point getting a K10d if it's going to be above 200 USD, it's just not worth it.
07-26-2013, 01:12 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi, I am a novice - enthusiastic, but know very little. I have recently bought a K10 and am having difficulty wrapping my head around some of the basics...

07-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Should be able to view what I see through the view finder on the screen, as I can't. If it should be able to do that what do I need to do?
07-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by novicegartner Quote
Should be able to view what I see through the view finder on the screen, as I can't. If it should be able to do that what do I need to do?
Pentax K10D hasn't got any live view capabilities. you using the viewfinder to compose the image and when you are happy with all the settings and framing then you simple press the shutter release button to take the picture. Try to go through the manual for once at least to reduce confusion.

Congrats on your purchase - its a lovely camera if used properly really CAN deliver!
07-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Thanks for that.
07-26-2013, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

To the OP: I have a K10D and my wife uses an *istD. Even though they're older cameras, I really like them both. The first difference you'll notice is that the *istD is quite a bit smaller than the K10D, although both have that great "this is a serious camera" solid feel to them. It's just a matter of preference. Another difference is that the K10D uses SD cards, while the *istD uses Compact Flash. SD cards are much easier to find these days so that might be a consideration for you. Even though my K10D is 10mp and the *istD is 6mp, I've never seen a tremendous difference in the quality of the pics they produce. For most amateur purposes, either camera can give you good results. About the only thing I dislike about the *istD is that it's a little slow on its review. It takes a few seconds for the picture to pop up on the LCD after you take a photo, but when you consider the quality of camera you're getting for the price these things are available, it's really a pretty small quibble. All things considered, if the extra size and weight of the K10D were not a problem, I'd go for the K10D if I were choosing between the two.

Last edited by TaoMaas; 07-27-2013 at 04:59 AM.
07-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

K10D hands down... that being said... I loved my *istDS
07-26-2013, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
KEH.com has a few k10Ds ranging from $165 to $215, all good prices. My favorite thing about the K10D is no other camera after it can touch its image quality at ISO 100, not even the K5 iis.
07-26-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
KEH.com has a few k10Ds ranging from $165 to $215, all good prices. My favorite thing about the K10D is no other camera after it can touch its image quality at ISO 100, not even the K5 iis.
it's because of the CCD sensor, in fact it probably has the pop at ISO 200 too, but it's only good until about ISO 400.

I have the same sensor in my sony A330, and I think a few nikon has it too, they were all made by sony.
07-26-2013, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #15

All the above posts say everything about the K10D, I bought mine and just absolutely fell in love with it. I now have two K10's, both with grips. This way, when I change cameras I don't have to think about the controls.
I have until recently not even considered upgrading, but I find myself looking very hard at the K5iis. I may move up, but I have not found one to look at and hold to see if they feel as good as my K10's.
My vote to you is K10 all the way.