Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
AE metering settings

what the best AE metetering settings for landscape and motor sport

07-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I always use average metering since it's quite easy to understand and it doesn't jump around to much with it's value.

For landscapes matrix might also be pretty good, the camera should understand there is a sky in your photo and compensate for that if needed.
07-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Avoid spot metering for a while.

Center weighted is the one people most commonly use. Its what you want when there is a subject and you want it and its surroundings to be well-exposed.
Matrix takes into consideration the whole frame. So for landscapes and such. It has its limitations, though.
Spot metering will meter for a very precise spot. If you have a subject in a white dress, forget it, because if it meters on the dress, it will try to make the dress "correctly grey" and make the whole photo way too dark. Same for dark subjects. Spot metering is very specific, but it can also be very useful.
I suggest you set your camera to jpeg and small MP and then just take a bunch of test photos to understand the different modes
07-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
sorry to be think na horak but what is a small MP

07-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Center-weighted and matrix both consider the frame you see in the viewfinder. For center-weighted, the meter thinks something in the middle of the photo is important and needs the correct exposure, while something in the corners can be too dark or too light. Small details will be ignored. Matrix metering measures 16 points in the frame and tries to match them to a database of typical shots. It should see a snapshot-type photo pretty well, like half the frame sky, with a person dead center. It will also try to keep each segment from being overexposed, which preserves detail in digital images. There's some figures in the K-m manual showing the matrix and a graph of the center-weighted sensitivity on pages 102 and 103.

Landscapes are often easy because you can try again if the meter's suggestion looks wrong. For example, on a sunny day here, clouds will often be overexposed with either CW or matrix. If I want cloud detail, I have to underexpose from the meter's suggestion.
07-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Center-weighted and matrix both consider the frame you see in the viewfinder. For center-weighted, the meter thinks something in the middle of the photo is important and needs the correct exposure, while something in the corners can be too dark or too light. Small details will be ignored. Matrix metering measures 16 points in the frame and tries to match them to a database of typical shots. It should see a snapshot-type photo pretty well, like half the frame sky, with a person dead center. It will also try to keep each segment from being overexposed, which preserves detail in digital images. There's some figures in the K-m manual showing the matrix and a graph of the center-weighted sensitivity on pages 102 and 103.

Landscapes are often easy because you can try again if the meter's suggestion looks wrong. For example, on a sunny day here, clouds will often be overexposed with either CW or matrix. If I want cloud detail, I have to underexpose from the meter's suggestion.
carry on please what about motor sport shooting
07-26-2013, 02:25 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Or try a polarizing filter.

07-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rusky40 Quote
sorry to be think na horak but what is a small MP
When you shoot jpeg you can choose its size, in megapixels (MP). For tests, I usually choose a small MP so the photos dont take too much space. Sorry about the confusion, just ignore that bit
07-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
no thanks for your help i tend to shout at full mp size
07-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rusky40 Quote
carry on please what about motor sport shooting
Center weighted, for the reasons stated earlier.

With motor sport M mode might also work well.
Simple aim the camera on the asphalt and take a metering from that with pressing the green button, you should be within a stop of the correct exposure so it's easy to get a good exposure from there.