Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

view finder

Ok, I have a K10 D and I don't know if I should be able to view what I see through the view finder on the screen, as I can't. If it should be able to do that what do I need to do?

07-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Traditionally the way to use an SLR camera is to compose using the viewfinder. For a while SLRs did not have an option to compose through LCD. LCD was only used to display the settings and menus before the shot and to review the end-result.

Nowadays most dSLR do offer the so-called Live View which allows to shoot (compose) using the rear LCD. However they work completely differently in this mode, for instance the focusing is different (Contrast detection in LV, and Phase Detection in traditional mode). One of the advantages (or lets rather say features) of SLRs was using the Phase Detection AF (which used to be much faster and maybe still is), so many SLR users still compose and shoot using the viewfinder, rather than the Live View (rear LCD screen).

Pentax K10D did not have Live View, I think the first Pentax to feature live view was the K20D.

The first implementations of live view were not very useable, now they are. Though if you only/mostly intend to use the Live View (rear LCD) I would recommend getting a MILC (mirrorless) or a P&S.
07-26-2013, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that camera has CCD sensor, not CMOS, and those sensors didnt allow live view.
If you get a modern Pentax, it will allow that.
If you want to ONLY use the LCD screen, I suggest you get the Pentax K-01. It has no mirror, no optical viewfinder, only live view. But it has a great modern sensor, and can be found for under $300