Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

NY area SDM Hacking

Is there anyone in the NY area who can help me disable SDM on a lens? I just got a 50-135 and the lens was described as having a tight focusing right. I think I would just like to disable SDM and shoot MF if I need to be quite. Can anyone help or point me to a camera repair shop that might be able to do it? I am really excited about the 50-135 and want to protect it.

On a slight tangent. I believe all of the DA 50-135mm lenses are WR. This is my first WR lens it will be going on a K-5 (occasionally a k-01). What does WR mean in practical terms? I mean I didn't put my K-X with M lenses away in a light drizzle, but I wouldn't shoot in a thunderstorm either.

07-26-2013, 04:58 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by dappercorpmonkey Quote
Is there anyone in the NY area who can help me disable SDM on a lens? I just got a 50-135 and the lens was described as having a tight focusing right. I think I would just like to disable SDM and shoot MF if I need to be quite. Can anyone help or point me to a camera repair shop that might be able to do it? I am really excited about the 50-135 and want to protect it.

On a slight tangent. I believe all of the DA 50-135mm lenses are WR. This is my first WR lens it will be going on a K-5 (occasionally a k-01). What does WR mean in practical terms? I mean I didn't put my K-X with M lenses away in a light drizzle, but I wouldn't shoot in a thunderstorm either.
Here's a pdf from Pentax's official website about WR.

http://c2b6d376b97bcc466063-5420c200a1f030d1394a9548df6eadbd.r5.cf2.rackcdn....e_V2%20_2_.pdf

Just in-case the link looks suspicious:

PENTAX - smc PENTAX DA Star 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM
> Right side says: Pentax Waterproof White Paper (Click that)

(I don't own a DA* but...) The SDM is still shootable from what I hear from others and if it does fail, then you can disable it and turn it into screw-drive (the noisy thingy... not that noisy to me anyways...)

On the other hand, I do own a 50-200 WR which is a basic WR lens. And it does perfectly fine in drizzles and even medium rainfall. It really is WR and props to Pentax for its efforts. And since it is a DA* you should expect it to work fine in most if not all shooting conditions (I mean reasonable conditions.)

Hope this helped,

Steve
07-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Try this, but at you own risk!

How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 - Le site des amateurs de PENTAX
07-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the information on WR.

What I really need now is more information on SDM hacking and if anyone in the NY area can help me do it.

It is my understanding that you need an older body to update the firmware in the lens itself to switch it to screw-drive. Unfortuneatly, I only have a K-5 and a K-01 and I don't believe it is possible to perform the hack with either of those bodies. I may be completely over reacting here too. I just bought it on ebay last night and have not even recieved the lens yet. All I know is the owner said that the focusing ring could use lubrication. I just want to take steps to ensure that this lens lasts a long time. From what I have gathered this lens takes great pictures, but has serious SDM issues. I want to minimize my risk as much as possible.

07-26-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster

Will this work with a K-5 as well. Are there any other instructions out there? This is a little difficult to follow when it comes to modifying and backing up the correct file.
07-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why not just use the lens with SDM if it's working just fine?
07-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All I know is the owner said that the focusing ring could use lubrication.
Maybe I'm confused (easily done) but the focusing ring is for manual focus, right? So how do you know the SDM has problems? From what you said it sounds like the SDM is fine and manual focus is not. And I don't understand how disabling the SDM has any affect on how long the lens lasts. If you don't want to use SDM put the lens in manual focus mode and forget it. Or just use the lens the way it was designed and if the SDM fails then either use manual focus, get it repaired or hack it to use screwdrive.

I want to minimize my risk as much as possible.
Still confused. What risk are you trying to minimize?
07-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The issues with SDM, especially on this model are also greatly exaggerated

07-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I don't know that I would worry about it till it really does go on the fritz. I have a 50-135 that I have used since 9/2008 and it has had no issues. If it does have a problem, it would be simple enough to switch -- maybe you could even send your lens to a member who owns a K10 or kx camera, but I would bother for now.
07-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess I am just overly concerned about SDM failure, and excited about getting a really nice piece of glass.
07-26-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, SDM failure doesn't affect manual focusing nor the screwdrive AF, so hacking it when fuly functioning gains nothing really.
07-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter

This is like disconnecting the A/C in your car because it might break in the future, sometime, maybe. Just really not following the logic.
Seriously just enjoy the lens and don`t worry about SDM. I`ve had 16-50 for years, if the SDM breaks i`ll get it fixed. If I was going to worry about it I would have bought a different lens.