Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch in Focus on K-30 with...

Screwmount lenses like the ones in my signature.

All have the "A" settings but when I go to turn on CiF it does nothing, just let's me know like usual when something is in focus. I think it might be operator's problem in this one and wanted to ask for the whole procedure. What I need to turn on or off in order to at least try this feature in my camera.

07-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The A setting on a M42 lens has nothing to do with CiF, in fact a M42 lens set to A will always be wide open (there is nothing in a K-mount camera to stop it down).

The Takumars you have are not wide enough to short the correct pin for CiF. You will have to short the pin with some metallic tape or foil. There are instructions somewhere in the forums.
07-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
So it's a pin that enables the body to do this. I should try it with my kit lens? I thought I did and it didn't fire either, then again my kit lens is the crappiest of them all the 18-55mm non WR.

Actually I understand what you are saying about the "A" in terms of the body, but if I take it of the "A" then the lens will open wide and I can only go to other apertures manually when it's on the "A" setting. Am I understanding correctly in saying you are talking about treating the "A" as Automatic being the body controlling it?
07-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigJPR Quote
So it's a pin that enables the body to do this. I should try it with my kit lens? I thought I did and it didn't fire either, then again my kit lens is the crappiest of them all the 18-55mm non WR.

Actually I understand what you are saying about the "A" in terms of the body, but if I take it of the "A" then the lens will open wide and I can only go to other apertures manually when it's on the "A" setting. Am I understanding correctly in saying you are talking about treating the "A" as Automatic being the body controlling it?
The kit lens can't do CiF because it is an AF lens and lacks a MF switch. (For CiF to work with an AF lens the lens has to be able to switch to MF only. The MF setting on the body turns off CiF mode.)

On a M42 lens it is in 'A' or Auto when 'M' or Man. is covered. It is in Auto when Man. is covered.

07-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
All this time and now I get it. I got the K30 since February and haven't even attempted to us it, just got curious as of late. Thanks boriscleto for your help.