Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Viewing pics from camera on a smartphone

This may be obvious to some of you, but I couldn't find a thread that specifically mentioned this way of viewing pics on a smartphone (or tablet) which don't have a SD slot. In particular, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (which has a fairly big screen) with a mini-USB slot. Most newer Android phones have such a mini-USB that is OTG (=On The Go) capable. (Check to see if yours is capable)

First get a USB 2.0 A Female to Micro B Male Converter OTG Host Extension Adapter Cable. 99 cents on ebay. Then, if you don't already have one, get a simple SD card reader with a USB plug. Less than $2 on ebay. Everything is very small and lightweight. See the pic below.
Plug everything in, and the phone should see the SD card as an external drive. Open the pics for viewing and editing.

So why do this?
  1. It's easier to view pics on some of the new hi-res smartphone screens.
  2. You can use this to back up your photos to the micro-SD card in your smartphone (if it has that capability).
  3. You can do some pic editing with the wide selection of (free) Android apps. Try PicSay or PicsArt.
  4. If you're not at a computer, this is about the fastest way to get pics from your camera and post them online.

07-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I did this on a Galaxy S, but via a MicroSD card in an adapter. The S does not have an OTG USB port (unless you hack it to bits for a one-time-per-boot use). I found a really nice side-effect: Quickpic stored thumbnails of all the images in a hidden folder on the card which remained there after I copied and deleted the folder. A possible last-resort backup option.

In any case, my next phone/tablet will have OTG capabilities.
07-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #3

Thanks for the tip!

I have intentions on getting a budget android tablet in the near future. Do all tablets supports OTG mini USB or do we have to look out for an indication?

The most important benefit for this i believe is to expedite sharing on Instagram or such. Much more convenient than having to edit them on the PC and then upload them to your android device.
07-30-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WangJianWei Quote
Do all tablets supports OTG mini USB or do we have to look out for an indication?
You need to look for it. Especially in budget tablets, where only the top models usually have any sort of OTG capabilities.

08-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Will this work with apple products?
08-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
You need to look for it. Especially in budget tablets, where only the top models usually have any sort of OTG capabilities.
Even some of the more expensive tablets don't have OTG enabled. I have a Blackberry Playbook and it ticks me off no end that RIM opted to disable OTG on the Playbook USB port citing security issues. They felt having access to external drives, SD cards, thumb drives etc. would compromise the security they were trying to maintain. Understandable in a way but it would have been a far better idea to have it user switchable so that the user could decide if/when they wanted OTG capability.
08-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Would this work with a Samsung Galaxy S2 smart phone?
Just curious.

JP
08-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've got a Eye-Fi 8Gb Pro card, and Samsung Galaxy S3 with the Eye-Fi Andriod app on it. I shoot in RAW+ and have the card set up to transfer only the jpegs to the phone. It's pretty slick how well it works, been running with it all vacation, with my card in the my Ricoh GXR.

Just throwing it out there, as a cable-less solution.

08-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
I've got a Eye-Fi 8Gb Pro card, and Samsung Galaxy S3 with the Eye-Fi Andriod app on it. I shoot in RAW+ and have the card set up to transfer only the jpegs to the phone. It's pretty slick how well it works, been running with it all vacation, with my card in the my Ricoh GXR.

Same thing works to an iPhone, iPad or laptop - in all cases it is possible to set up a Direct Link that does not involve using an Eye-Fi Cloud account when there is a Wi-Fi network available. In some cases the receiving device can become a Wi-Fi Hotspot (though I think that costs some money).

My wife uses a Q and her phone to post images nearly directly to Instagram and from her phone camera to her laptop without doing the cumbersome card swap to use in her blog. The GR and Q7 sense the presence of an Eye-Fi Card when it is inserted and call up otherwise hidden context-sensitve Menu choices to set up the transfers. On other cameras it just involves a few more steps.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-07-2013 at 04:38 PM.
08-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Same thing works to an iPad or laptop - in all cases it is possible to set up a Direct Link that does not involve using an Eye-Fi Cloud account when there is a Wi-Fi network available. In some cases the receiving device can become a Wi-Fi Hotspot (though I think that costs some money).

My wife uses a Q and her phone to post images nearly directly to Instagram and from her phone to her laptop without doing the cumbersome card swap to use in her blog.
Way cool wireless solution !
Any particular brand of card? I found this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/676551-REG/Eye_Fi_EYE_FI_8PC_8GB_Pro_X2_SDHC.html, and this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fi.eye.android

I'm Googling that right now.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 08-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.
08-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Would this work with a Samsung Galaxy S2 smart phone?
Just curious.

JP
If I recall correctly, USB OTG wasn't implemented until the S3. Check the specs...
08-07-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
Will this work with apple products?
Only iPads can connect to cameras or SD storage. Apple doesn't enable that feature on iPhones or iPods. The Apple 30-pin connector is this:

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - Apple Store (Canada)

There's a similar one for newer models with the Lightning connector.
08-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Trigger Happy Quote
Only iPads can connect to cameras or SD storage. Apple doesn't enable that feature on iPhones or iPods. The Apple 30-pin connector is this:

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - Apple Store (Canada)

There's a similar one for newer models with the Lightning connector.
Thanks! With the SD card plugged into the ipad is it possible to delete photos on the SD card or only import them?
08-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Forum Member

Sorry, I don't own an iPad so I can't say how it works. There's probably some info on Google or YouTube to find the answer.