Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
It is a good job that Im determined to get the hang of this manual malarky or I would be running for hills right now with my camera firmly stuck on auto.
The whole 'guessing at focus' intrigues me, and shows me how much I have to learn.
I usually shoot in AV mode, and (waiting for some of you to slap your heads in frustration) I don't really notice DoF, I tend to select an aperture based on how blurry I want the background (allowing for light) and shoot. I don't think I have ever used the preview button, and I have never tried live view either
Oh will, this manual lens will certainly cause me some pain - should be fun!
I remember telling my brother how much better my film camera was than his, because mine had depth of field preview. I didn't actually use it but it was there. He was unimpressed - "that just makes everything darker!" I probably only learned how to use it to win that argument.

08-02-2013, 02:35 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
Doesn't the K-30 support catch-in focus? That's what I use for manual focusing and it works quite nicely both on the K20 and the K5
08-02-2013, 03:19 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well the lens has been despatched today so it should get here either tomorrow or Mon, and I will let you know how I get on
08-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

You're going to love it! Watch out for LBA ...

08-02-2013, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
Am I missing something here, why are you buying a canon screen for a Pentax camera when they do Penax screens?

Would you mind sending a link so I can see the one you have please?
Search Pentax Forums for 'canon focusing screen'. There are several threads. In a nutshell, the company focusingscreen.com purchases stock Canon focusing screens., custom cuts them to fit a wide range of digital camera bodies, then goes the next step (if desired) and etches a variety of line designs - for example, the same stock design used by Pentax, or 'thirds' composition guidelines.

While we are all Pentax fans here, nobody says that there aren't some things done better by competitors.
08-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Yeah Jim, I actually find the stock Pentax screen a bit sub-par after installing the Canon EE-s. It's quite surprising that Pentax while promoting their excellent viewfinders don't offer any real options when it comes to specialized focusing screens, it got to be a missed market opportunity with all the fast MF and AF lenses around.
08-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Yeah Jim, I actually find the stock Pentax screen a bit sub-par after installing the Canon EE-s. It's quite surprising that Pentax while promoting their excellent viewfinders don't offer any real options when it comes to specialized focusing screens, it got to be a missed market opportunity with all the fast MF and AF lenses around.
I agree that Pentax needs to offer a better focusing screen for manual focusing. Even the company's latest entry level dSLR, the K-500 offers a pentaprism viewfinder with a 100% view. And while Pentax offers alternate focusing screens, they are all the same screen with different composition guides.

I have read some misgivings from several people who installed the Katzeye focusing screen because it can affect metering when using slow lenses. At the same time I have read very few negatives about the Cannon EE-s screen.
08-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #38
Site Supporter

I have a katzeye in one of my k20ds and a focusingscreen.com one in the other. I can't see much difference

08-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its here

Had a few test shots and F1.7 works in AV mode, and then I use the green button (when in AV mode) to meter before pressing the shutter when stopping down?
Tried fully manual and so far have just got completely over exposed images so need to get the manual out.

I don't get manual mode so far, was hoping to get more help from the light meter, but Im obviously missing something as it doesn't change readings no matter what setting I have, there are a few posts on here that Im going to go through as they seem to have more info on manual shooting so will come back with questions if any once I have researched a bit more.
Plan is to spend tonight playing around with it, and then Im going to one of the museums with only this lens for a whole day - I figure the only way to learn is to give myself no option but to have to use the camera in manual mode, I will get a lot of missed shots, but I will learn even more and hopefully be better for it
This is going to be fun

Last edited by edgedemon; 08-05-2013 at 09:13 AM.
08-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

In Av mode, the camera will only shoot wide open (f/1.7) with an M or K-series lens. Put the camera in M mode, set your aperture on the lens (using the aperture ring), compose, focus, then press the green button to set the shutter speed. Then take the photo. This usually works very well on my Pentax DSLRs. The green button causes the lens to momentarily open to the set aperture, take a light reading, then calculate the shutter speed. Otherwise known as "stop-down metering". Good luck.
08-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, slightly confused here..

If I shoot in AV mode @ F1.7, the shot I take is OK, ISO 3200, shutter 1/5 sec. (I have auto iso 100-3200 set)
If I take the same shot (F1.7) in manual mode, compose,focus,green button and shoot I get completely different settings, the green button tells me that I need 4 second shutter speed at ISO 100?
I was expecting it to give me a similar setting to shooting in AV mode as that was reasonably well exposed. I understand that at 100 ISO vs 3200 I will need a longer shutter speed but am I confused - I thought green button would set the camera's ISO and shutter speed to give me the correct exposure that the camera thinks I need based on the apperture I have chosen, am I wrong?
Does the green button just determine shutter speed and everything else is set by me? Im wondering why it chose ISO 100.

sorry for what is probably very basic questions
08-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure, but you may not be able to use auto-iso using a fully manual lens in M mode on your K30. I'm using a K10D, so the settings in my camera are probably different from the newer models, and I don't use auto-iso. Try setting the iso manually (say, 100 or 200 if you're outside on a sunny day), and check your results. Someone please chime in if I'm off-base here.

Last edited by paulh; 08-05-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: added details
08-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't think it will use auto ISO, but my confusion was over why iso 100 was chosen over 3200 which would have made more sense, I will play a bit more tomorrow
08-05-2013, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

In M mode and with Auto ISO chosen, my K-7 will choose the lowest ISO in the auto range and stay there. It doesn't do anything auto in M mode, similar to most older Pentax DSLRs. The K-30 says in the manual that if you have Auto ISO and switch to M mode, you will really be in TAv mode. I suspect some part of that doesn't work when you're using an M series lens that can't tell the camera its aperture range.
08-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that Dave, your description matches exactly what Im seeing.
Based on that, Im might remap a button for ISO, head out into the garden and see what shots I can get and how well my focussing stands up to scrutiny