Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Now a 300 on a pentax Q is a temptation I don't need. How good is the combo?
Here goes a thread hijack:

The DA*300 is the best telephoto lens I have used with my Q. If you go that route I recommend the OEM adapter with built in shutter.

See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested-q-r...ml#post2215855

Sorry for the thread hijack.

07-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Sorry for the thread hijack.
Thanks

me to - sorry about the hijack
07-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You guys/girls on the forum are amazing. I figured that I'd need a day or two before I'd see any posts, and here I've gotten a full set of responses and even a minor thread jacking (which I totally don't mind). If I can be so bold as to try to find some consensus among this, it seems like the 18-135 lens is something that I should aim for for my primary lens, and that the body doesn't seem to matter as much. The suggestions from Bob were intriguing (either big zoom or wide angle), but as others have said, the cost is going to win for the time being. Basically since my fiancee and I are both finishing grad school at the moment, plus wedding costs, plus the not insignificant cost of the trip itself, cost is really going to be a limiting factor (unless I can sneak some photography gear on the registry). I will say that this first trip (likely to Guyana or Belize) has been chosen due to a "bang for the buck" philosophy, and the Africa trip is a decent bit in the future (after she and I have our big boy/girl jobs for long enough to save up). And it looks like that 60-250 can safely go in the future plans bin.

That being said, I couldn't be happier with the suggestions. You've focused my searching for gear, (and don't be afraid to keep suggestions coming) and then I can actually practice (hat tip to Jatrax). I'm thinking that the zoo is a good place for fiddling with what settings give what results and the woods would be a good start for quick reactions.

Thanks again.
08-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have gotten a lot of good advice so I'll just add that this is your honeymoon and unless your spouse is also majorly into photography it should not be the primary focus of the trip. Yes, you want great pictures and lots of them but take the time to enjoy each other and the vacation itself.

So:
  1. Keep your kit simple, I think any of the current cameras plus the 18-135 will be a very good start. You can add others as you gain experience.
  2. Learn to use the camera well before you go, nothing more frustrating than trying figure out the camera as that critter laughs at you from the tree branch and then disappears.
  3. Make sure you have enough memory cards.
  4. Consider a hot shoe flash. This will help in the woods but learning flash is another whole study so maybe you won't have the time.
  5. And like I said: practice. I average 12,000 plus exposures a year and my first 30,000 were terrible. I occasionally get a good one now.....

08-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
My two cents worth.... K-30 or K-50 with the DA 18-135WR lens .... this lens will cover most of your needs.

As noted, you don't want to be changing lenses in a really damp location. Further, I am guessing you will be staying in places with air conditioning. Big temperature changes in damp locations mean condensation. While this camera body and lens are weather resistant, I still recommend you place your camera inside a plastic bag when going from warm to cold and vice versa. Any condensation will accumulate on the bag rather than your camera. Give the camera a few minutes to acclimate to the new conditions before removing from the bag.

jatrax recommended memory cards, I'll add that you should always have a fully charged spare battery with you.

Using just the 18-135 lens, you can fake both a longer lens and a macro lens through a combination of a higher shutter speed and cropping. Obviously cropping will decrease the maximum size print, but not by as much as you might think.

The photo below was taken with the K-30 and 18-135 this spring from behind the centerfield fence (250-300 feet) at a local Little League ball game. I was out walking the dog so the shot was pure serendipity. If this was a planned photo opportunity, I would have had my 55-300mm lens with me. With 'only' 135mm available, I ended up cropping a lot to get the image I wanted.