Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can you test a few things? Is it making noise when you are aiming at something dark and then pointing at something bright, or vice versa?

My Sigma 50 F1.4 makes a pretty loud noise when mounted on my k-01. The aperture stops down to protect the sensor from bright lights. The noise, however, is loud because my aperture is so big. On the kit lens, it probably shouldn't make any sound, but it's been a very long time since I've had my DAL 18-55 so I can't really say.

08-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Can you test a few things? Is it making noise when you are aiming at something dark and then pointing at something bright, or vice versa?

My Sigma 50 F1.4 makes a pretty loud noise when mounted on my k-01. The aperture stops down to protect the sensor from bright lights. The noise, however, is loud because my aperture is so big. On the kit lens, it probably shouldn't make any sound, but it's been a very long time since I've had my DAL 18-55 so I can't really say.
I will do some tests. It does it when I point the camera outside in the sun. Then when I record 2 minutes later it won't do it. It does it when I am not recording and recording. It doesn't do it when I am not recording and recording. See it is very inconsistent. It does it and it doesn't do it when I am aiming it at my aquarium. Most of the time it will not make sound until I get to 20-18mm. Shining it outside, my aquarium, etc... doesn't really show any patterns. Other times it will make an aperture sound throught out each number, from 18-55mm. Other times it will not make any sound at all. All of these fluctuations can happen in a 5 minute window. Of recording, readjusting, stopping, refocusing etc...

I will try to find some kind of pattern. I just think it is defective. My 40mm pancake is dead silent and never has an issue. I swear it started doing it right after I did some interval shooting for time lapse. I thought oh no I have ruined the aperture or something by doing the interval shoot.
08-02-2013, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveFish Quote
When I manual focus in video mode the 18-55mm lens is queit, but after doing some interval shooting and quick frame shooting the lens will sometimes make loud shutter noise when zooming in and out in manual video mode. It doesn't always do it. I
Um wait Im not sure you are doing everything right.
The screw-drive AF is pretty loud in general, though a lens like the 40mm XS, for example, is much quieter than the DA L 50-200mm. Simply put, higher quality lenses, lighter lenses, will focus more quietly.
Secondly, MF should ALWAYS be quiet. Make sure you press the AF/MF button to manually focus. When you focus manually, the focus ring should move quietly and without much resistance. There were some people posting in the past that accidentally left the camera in AF and forced the focus ring to move. This is wrong, and it usually destroy the AF mechanism on your camera.
Zooming should also be quiet. If zooming makes scraping or clanking sounds, something is probably wrong with the lens.

Now, some lenses have their own focus motor. This means they are a little more expensive, and can sometimes break and stop working. But generally the focus motor on the lens is much quieter and often faster than screw-drive. Pentax' calls this SDM, Sigma calls it HSM, and I think Tamron calls it PZD.
The kit lenses (DA L 18-55mm, 50-200mm) tend to be very loud when AFing, though. These are kit lenses, essentially "the worst" that Pentax has to offer - though, kit lenses of other brands are often even worse (cheaper plastic, lower IQ). So just about any Pentax lens you buy will probably focus faster and more quietly. For video recording, people often use SDM quiet lenses, and probably even more often, use a manual Pentax lens. The great thing about Pentax is that these cameras still take all the K-mount lenses, even from the 80s. And these lenses can often deliver IQ almost as good as modern ones, but at a much lower cost. They also have a better focus ring, because it is optimized for manual focusing and build quality standards were very high back then.

Oh, and yes, the K-01 does stop down the aperture blades of the lens. It does this to protect the sensor from bright light and to make composition easier (because wide open, the DoF can be so shallow it makes the whole frame just a blur). You will hear this click especially when you point the camera from a darker to a brighter are, or the other way around. I think this behaviour is unavoidable, except with fully manual lenses. You can hear this as clicking. This clicking sounds similar to when you fully press the shutter button, because when you take a photo, it stops down the aperture blades to the selected F-number, and then triggers the shutter. You can probably also hear this if you remove the lens from the camera (fully press the unmount button when you do this) and then press the aperture-lever.

Pentax cameras also have SR (shake reduction), which magnetically holds the sensor in place. This can also cause a clanking sound if you shake or rattle the camera. This is normal, and you shouldn't rattle your camera to begin with.

Other brands have some pretty loud cameras/lenses, too - the AF and shutter clank. Depends on the specific models. The quietest cameras are mirrorless cameras, like the K-01.
I just want to assure you that a properly working K-01 will not be loud in normal ambient volume. Sometimes we can be in a quiet room, and we hear a sound and then focus on it far too much. In real life, the K-01 is a pretty quiet camera.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-02-2013 at 11:20 AM.
08-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #19

Original Poster
Zooming should also be quiet. If zooming makes scraping or clanking sounds, something is probably wrong with the lens.

Oh, and yes, the K-01 does stop down the aperture blades of the lens. It does this to protect the sensor from bright light and to make composition easier (because wide open, the DoF can be so shallow it makes the whole frame just a blur). You will hear this click especially when you point the camera from a darker to a brighter are, or the other way around. I think this behaviour is unavoidable, except with fully manual lenses. You can hear this as clicking. This clicking sounds similar to when you fully press the shutter button, because when you take a photo, it stops down the aperture blades to the selected F-number, and then triggers the shutter. You can probably also hear this if you remove the lens from the camera (fully press the unmount button when you do this) and then press the aperture-lever.

This is most likely what is happening. It is a clicking sound as I zoom in and out in manual video mode. I am aware of not moving while in AF mode. I always make sure I am in MF before I try to zoom or focus. So this is normal? Or should my manual zooming be totally silent? I do have my aperture wide open most of the time while doing video. So you think it is the aperture stopping down? Why does it sometimes making the clicking sound and sometimes it doesn't do it? I am aiming at the exact same object on a tripod? Just weird camera behavior? I just need to know if this is all normal or a defect. When I first got it it didn't do the clicking sound then it did. It could have been nothing more than the situation didn't result in clicking and not that the lens is now broken. Thank you for such a great response.

08-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well the reason it might click as you zoom is that it changes the position of aperture blades because of:
a) that lens has variable aperture. At 18mm the "wide open" brings in more light than at 55mm.
b) the overall brightness of the scene changes, as you zoom, because you add/remove corners

Yes, the "stopping down while in live view" is pretty annoying to a lot of photographers, because it doesn't represent the correct DoF and overall look of the photo (unless it happens to be stopped down to the same aperture as is selected for the photo/video). I think you can configure the green or red button for the digital focus aide, I forget what its called, but basically it enlarges part of the frame, zooms in, while you are still in live view. As it does this, it also opens the aperture so you can do more accurate focusing. The other thing is DoF preview, which will stop down the lens to the selected aperture to show you how the photo will look. If you have a fast lens (fast=low f-number, like the 50mm f1.4), you can clearly see the difference between f1.4 and f8, even on the screen, at least when the lens is focused near (with near focus, the DoF is more shallow than at far focus). If you have focus peaking enabled, it should also reflect the change in aperture. But focus peaking itself has limitations - its not great for ultra-wide angle lenses, and its not great for flow lenses (with a high minimum f-number, like a f5.6 or f8)

Edit: Btw, I think there are videos on youtube that show how loud the K-01 is when it is turned on or when it focuses. But those videos, in my opinion, have a low volume to begin with, so IRL it is a little louder.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-02-2013 at 12:26 PM.